Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hand book says to disconnect the battery when charging it, the is particularly tedious when lots of things need resetting when charging is finished.
The handbook shows connection for jump starting from another battery, which is the same as using a charger. Since modern chargers are quite precise and output voltages as high as an alternator, I don’t understand the need to disconnect the battery.
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Why do you need to charge you battery. Your alternator should do that. You either have a charging problem or need a new battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you need to charge you battery. Your alternator should do that. You either have a charging problem or need a new battery.
The battery is 16 months old, voltage checks with the engine running suggest charging is OK.

Car in home garage a lot, and not used too much, if battery goes down so it cannot turn the engine, I am stuck.
I don’t know what the parasitic current is ‘cos to measure it you have to disconnect a battery!!!

Mechanic said leave it on trickle charge, which would be OK, but did not address the original question, namely, Peugeot say Don’t charge if battery is disconnected .
Later versions do not have this limitation, so it either does not matter or there has been a redesign.

Any thoughts on my original question?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is 16 months old, voltage checks with the engine running suggest charging is OK.

Car in home garage a lot, and not used too much, if battery goes down so it cannot turn the engine, I am stuck.
I don’t know what the parasitic current is ‘cos to measure it you have to disconnect a battery!!!

Mechanic said leave it on trickle charge, which would be OK, but did not address the original question, namely, Peugeot say Don’t charge if battery is disconnected .
Later versions do not have this limitation, so it either does not matter or there has been a redesign.

Any thoughts on my original question?
Sorry in Peugeot quote I meant “ if battery is connected”

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I have a new 2020 Mk 2 208, and in the drivers handbook, it says when charging the battery, it should be removed from the engine compartment.
I would trust Peugeots advice on this. Ther must be a good reason for it.
On mine, only the clock date and time need resetting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a new 2020 Mk 2 208, and in the drivers handbook, it says when charging the battery, it should be removed from the engine compartment.
I would trust Peugeots advice on this. Ther must be a good reason for it.
On mine, only the clock and date and time need resetting.
Thanks for this, but the online manual for the 2020 208 says “ it is not necessary to disconnect the battery . So much for documentation configuration control!!

I seem to recall on another website that the negative terminal is way under the bulkhead, unlike mine, so it may be rather problematic to remove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts