Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

recently i have noticed that the sign at the instruments screen showing the car engine temperature is often between 70 and 90 level. it has never reached the highest "red zone" yet but still it often remains in high degrees of temperature. i only have the car for 3 months now and during the first 2 months i saw such temperature levels very rarely (mostly after bad driving behavior -i am a new driver!) but lately it has become of a daily fact (and i swear it wasnt caused by bad driving).
i read at the manual that levels 70-90 are "normal" but i am a bit worried since temperature seems to rise quickly form 70 to 90 while driving only for 5-10 minutes with normal speed (about 60-70kh/hr). i checked the engine's water and it's all fine (within the levels as i first received the car).

pls someone tell me that it is normal indeed! should i be worried??? thanks!!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hiya, An internal combustion engine runs better at higher temeratures and all modern cars aim to achieve a running coolant temperature as close as possible to 100 degrees as possible. The cooling system is pressurised to prevent the coolant from actually boiling and most cars will keep to a temperature below 90 for practical reasons (standing still in traffic etc.) My 1.2 engine does indeed warm up very quickly and sits just below the 90 mark. I see this as quite normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And guys, since we're talking about engines, how about oil consumption? What's the average for Your cars?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driving about 10-12km per day (5 km with average 80km/h and 5 km in the city center) the consumption is average 4-6 lt/100km (i only see "scary" high numbers like 12lt when i drive up a hill!) and i can say that i really "forget" to refill it with diesel after i fill it !!! :p

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
GTi runs at approx 90-95 degrees when upto temperature. Remember never to rev high or full throttle untill the engine is fully warmed through. Please note when when the water is upto temperature it will take a further 5-10mins for the engine oil to be upto temperature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts