Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a 2010 208 1.4 diesel that has done 17,000 miles.
My concern is that when I viewed the car both front tyres are very worn on the edges (in fact the last service conducted 3 weeks ago by a Peugeot dealer indicated both were MOT failure).

If i buy the car i will obviously change both tyres but my question is could there be something more serious causing the tyres to wear this badly? The current owner says its because the tracking was badly out - and his wife failed to notify him. I have run an HPI check & it all seems clean & in order.
My only other option could be an AA / RAC vehicle inspection?

Any thoughts from current 208 owners gratefullyreceived.

many thanks
Ian

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
First of all the 208 only came out in this country last June/July ?
Sounds like the lady owner is a wanna be rally driver
. Are the alloys/ trims damaged ... Could she have hit a curb ?Even a pothole can throw the tracking out.
My other question would be is to why it was serviced 3 weeks ago at around 17k. Servicing is every 12k on the diesel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike - sorry i meant 207.I believe its had 2 services - the most recent one to help sell it.
One of the rear hub caps is broken.
To be honest at £5400 for a 2010 with 17K on the clock it seems a bargain - but you know what they say "if it looks too good to be true it probably is!"

I am just being careful because i would hate to spend £5,000+ on a duffer :-(

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I've had a couple of 207's and never changed a tyre on them ,one of them doing over 20k. It's a tough call this one ... I think I would be tempted to get a local garage to take a quick look underneath it to check all is ok , or even better still go to the Peugeot garage where the car has just been serviced and ask about the cars history with them .

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Also had 2 207's and not had any real problems - last was GTi which was haevy on the front tyres and we had to have both replaced and the 2nd set were getting low, this was also around the outer edge. I also raised the issue with Peugeot as the wear was not across the whole tyre and queried tracking etc and they did not feel there was anything wrong with it. I would also suggest that you insist on the sellerreplacing the tyres or using that as bargaining on price. Technically ifPeugeot have serviced and identified tyres are illegal unlessseller replacesthey are selling an unroadworthy car and you could get done for it driving it home after purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts