Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't stand it any longer done 750 miles in the new car ( second owner 7.5k on the clock) whilst driving to work in the traffic the brakes squeal constantly. Sounds more like a bus than a nearly new car. So I contacted the dealer and they have booked it in for this Friday. Hoping the pads just need some copper grease. Surely it can't be discs or pads at this low mileage?
Anyone else had this problem.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update
Peugeot have changed the pads Foc after looking at them a second time. They have discovered the pads were breaking up.
So here's to a quiet life on the braking scene.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
No it wasn't but I only purchased the car at the start of march this year and reported the problem within 10 days
But the dealer sent pics of the pads to peugeot and they agreed to pay. I'm sure if I had dug my heels in they would have had to change them foc anyway but Romford peugeot were much more helpful than the original supplying dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine are doing my head in and only 6k miles on the clock, getting it looked at this week. I had a look and my pads appear to just have some barcode on as mentioned by others on here...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My pads started to squeal again I think the pads they use must be poor quality. It's back in the dealers for something else but I did tell them about it. I don't think they will change them again.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Same...first time they said they were worn and replaced them under warranty. Second time they said they still had 10mm of pad on 'em and to clean them with a pressure washer... Can't be assed checking the pads myself so i'll probably just buy some brembos when the squeal becomes too unbearable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had this issue since day 1 with my car. Now 12/13 months old. Been in my local Peugeot dealer about 10 times over the issue. They wont change the pads for free and blame it on the fact my car is dirty (brake dust) but I get the car cleaned at least every 2 weeks. Makes me feel like I don't want to drive the car because it is that annoying and frankly embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel your pain. Don't bother trying to get Peugeot to change them, the problem will return. I ended up buying some Bosch pads from Euro car parts and my local garage fitted them for £20. They have been fantastic for over a year. No squeal whatsoever.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
PLEASE EVERYONE IF YOUR BRAKES SQUEAL THEN FIT BREMBO PADS AS THESE DONT.

No matter how many times you get ome pads replaced they squeal, use a different pad manufacturer and problem gone.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
That's it ain't it, Peugeot or the dealers aren't going to fit good premium brand anything, as it'll affect maximum profit ?.

Just out of curiosity, do the pistons need winding in on the calipers, and what tools do you need ??.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
EBC are my favorites - had exactly the same as everyone above until I changed them. I changes the discs at the same time with some Brembo's as they were quite worn when I purchased the car.

Not a squeak since.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Cool.

I'll keep it in mind.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
SteveB71 said:
That's it ain't it, Peugeot or the dealers aren't going to fit good premium brand anything, as it'll affect maximum profit ?.

Just out of curiosity, do the pistons need winding in on the calipers, and what tools do you need ??.
Yep winding in. I just use a c clamp.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Not the special tools needed then, like on the 207 GT ??.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
SteveB71 said:
If you have a special tool for rear caliper, sure use it if you have it. But c clamp and polygrip plier to wind it in clockwise(?), works just fine, as long you don't get scratches on piston or damage the rubber.

Front calipers only need a plier to push in the piston.

Edit- no other special tool for changing pads :)

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
pompe said:
SteveB71 said:
If you have a special tool for rear caliper, sure use it if you have it. But c clamp and polygrip plier to wind it in clockwise(?), works just fine, as long you don't get scratches on piston or damage the rubber.

Front calipers only need a plier to push in the piston.

Edit- no other special tool for changing pads :)

Cheers for that, I remember reading that the pistons screw in and out on the 207 GT......I did look into buying special winding tools for this job, but the "so called" experts on evilBay couldn't tell me which !!.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my 208 Black Edition for a free visual health check to the main dealership yesterday. Everything was fine (as expected for a 2017 car they said) but the rear brakes have gathered dust. They quoted £165 inc VAT for the following;

-- Remove rear brake drums to clean out brake dust, for brake squeaking. Diagnostic / investigation time required --

Peugeot also said there's a reason why the brakes gather dust, you don't drive enough daily or long enough. I try to but the driver's seat is so uncomfortable after 1 hour of driving. Lastly, they said I should find a long uninterrupted road, drive fast and then hit the brakes to clean the dust. Not the best advice for safety reasons.

Instead, I took it to my local mechanics in West London this morning and they cleaned it thoroughly for £30.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts