Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just reposting this here in the hope someone has experienced the same issues as me!
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I've got a 1.2 VTi 208 Allure (five door, 80hp) and it's just come back from its first service.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">With 14,700 miles on the clock, the brake pads and brake discs are more than half worn. Peugeot say this suggests it has been driven extremely hard and beyond 'normal use'.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">My commute is a 10-minute crawl through town, a 20-mile stint on the motorway, then a further crawl through stop-start traffic. I do this every morning, every evening, five days a week. I've done it for years in a range of superminis, and none of those have ever had the same problem... I don't thrash it, but interestinglyCar magazine are running one on a long-term test and said "revving the nuts off the 1.2 VTi engine and dumping the clutch is actually the smoothest way to get it moving."

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">So my question is - has anyone else had the same problem? I seem to have had the same problems as many of you here - touchscreen failure,clutch doesn't seem to have any obvious biting point, limp throttle pedal...

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">i'd be keen to find out...

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi, Can't say I have had the sort of problems you describe, butI have only just reached my first 1K miles. Since I have the 1.2 Active I have drums on the rear brakes but the front discs look OK so far with only very light scoring. I have also not noticed any grinding noise from the brakes. The clutch and throttle pedals also seem fine with no looseness or lack of general feel when I am driving.
The touchscreen has had its odd glitches but luckily only a few, although it does have the reported issues of menu items missing or just not available.

The only other problems I've got are the front electric windows not closing when locking the car with the remote but I don't think this option applies to cars where only the front windows are electric.

At 14,700 miles I would expect the pads to show noticeable wear but definitely not the discs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, same problem I bought my 208 last December, I've done only 6300, and the front brake needs to be changed, they are waiting for approval because apparently the warranty expires after 6000 miles, the pad has turned rusty, is obvious that is faulty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's something fishy here.........11 month old 208 Allure, 4300 miles on clock and handbrake jams on..........dealer says brake discs corroded and need replaced! Not covered by warranty as more than 6 months old. But advises phone Peugout UK and complain and you'll get it done as goodwill gesture under warranty. Which I do, and I did, no quibble, never even looked at car, methinks they know something is wrong.......

Whoever heard of brake discs needing replaced after only 4300 miles of gentle careful driving? I've had 11 new Peugeots (3 x 205s, 106, 306, 206, 2 x 307s, 2 x 207s and now 208)kept each one 3 years and traded it in. Last 6 on same roads, parked in same spot, same driving conditions. Average annual mileage 7,000. Never had to replace anything. Until now. Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
My front pads make a horrible grinding noise especially at low speeds and sometines the discs go brown (1.2 active). Like as if the compound is cheap or incorrect.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Just took my car into Peugeot on the way home from work. Front brakes have been squealing under braking for a week or two.I assumed there was something stuck to the pads causing the noise, however apparently after just 4800 miles my pads are worn out! Most of the mileage to and from work is on dual-carriageway with very little braking involved.
The car is also 8 months old so just out of brake warranty...They are getting in touch with Peugeot UK to see if they can get it done through goodwill gesture.
My thoughts are whether i have gotten a particularly poor batch of pads on my car or if i can expect my next set of pads to last the same amount of time!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Nera208 I had the same problem as you, I got my 208 with 7k on the clock and the brakes squealed like a bus from day 1. I took the car back and after being fobbed off a couple of times they then said the compound of the pads was breaking up and that Peugeot had agreed to replace them FOC.so far the squeal hasn't returned.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
had front pads changed at 1st service under warranty all so n/s/f tyre is now wearing badly on the outer edge 4 wheel alinement checks out ok been told its a problem with the 1.2 range that and some cars needing new engines this is not the best car peugeot have made really cannot put it down to teething troubles as it is not that much different from the old 207 or the DS3 its such a shame as this is my 6th peugeot and my last as it goes at the end of the month i have PXed it in for a VW golf cab got a good deal as i work in a VW audi Porscher body shop . I know all cars have there problems but the 208 1.2 seems to have far to many and dealers that do not seem to care

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Quick Update:They changed the pads no Q's asked. Curiously it seemed the old pads they took out didn't have any words/letters on them that i could see however these new pads clearly have Peugeot/Citroen branding on them...Could mean nothing but it would explain the excessive wear on the first set if they were some cheap unbranded knock-offs...

Anyway, overall i'm pleased how it turned out, my local garage seems to have good customer service and with a bit of luck these pads will last a bit longer than the last.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Don't forget you need to run the new pads in so take it easy for a couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my 208 17 months and have covered 31000 miles its been serviced twice and the brakes havent needed changing in all that time, they have recently started squeeling on breaking so its booked in for Peugeot to lookat next week, I'll let you know what they say

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I have had problems with my rear brakes making metallic noises and grinding. Took it in last week and they said it was because I don't drive it hard enough. I was told to take it out and slam on the brakes to get rid of the problem. I stood there and told them what I thought. Needles to say they had a look and sorted the problem by scrapping and cleaning them for me. They said if it carries on then to take it back. Touch wood no further problems.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Coming up to my first scheduled service. Pleased enough with how my car has been running these past twelve months, no major issues except new pads under warranty...Seem to be getting around 50-52 mpg out of the 1.2 engine with mostly city driving now.Low and behold however, the brake squeal has returned. Whether this is just some debris on the pads i'm unsure, but I will mention that the pads have already been changed once and it has only covered 1500 miles since the new pads were fitted.
Perhaps something else is causing excessive pad wear, I shall wait and see what excuse they come up with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts