Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a white 208 back in October, with the hatch open I spotted a black mark in the area where the hinges fix to the car, on closer inspection I spotted signs of cracked paint and rust. There's no lacquer and very little paint in that area, it looks like the body must be flexing when I open the hatch. Just wondering if anybody else is having the same problem. Took it back to the dealer in blackpool and yes they are sorting it but they said they thought it was the wind catching the hatch. How chuffin rude.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
its for that exact reason I had trouble with the body shop not lining the boot lid up correctly afterwards. they had to spray it twice because it came back the first time and the second time they stripped it back and put more lacquer on it and the problem seemed to have gone away. Peugeot didn't believe it was starting to rust as they are galvanised.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh thank god somebody else with the same problem , Peugeot dealer keep saying it's the wind catching the hatch but they will fix it anyway. Everyone should check their hinges I'm sure this is a major problem.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I know I never heard or seen it before. I got rid of my other gti for this exact reason because the boot lid never went back normal closing etc. I now have a new one and noticed two or 3 dots of missing paint so I have painted them with touch up paint if it rusts again I will not be taking it back to the Peugeot dealer who dealt with it before. I couldn't believe it when I seen it though a brand new car rusting and paint peeling off.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
its defo not the wind lol that bullsh*tits because they don't put lacquer on it or none at all nor paint. think they relyon the galvanising

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Peugeot get a 3 out of 10 for paintwork like. There is even a run on my bonnet. Aint had this though.
Thats down to the paneling I believe. Very very flimsy. Its the same on my 13 plate boxer(company). Panels dead thin and easy to bend when an opening door or boot like reaches its maximum opening. Obviously that massive hinge on these panels was a recipe for disaster

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
when you have had the repairs done make sure the boot lid aligns properly like now as I had loads of trouble with the bodyship misaligning it. take a pic when you have had the repairs done.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
hey did you get this fixed after?. I have got a 14 plate gti and guess what.... same problem yet again as my 13 plate gti !! fuming is an understatement. Peugeot have taken pics and I am now waiting to hear from a rep from Peugeot to inspect it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it got sorted but Peugeot seem to be down playing this problem.The body shop think the problem is when the hatch is fully open, it's flexing the body and cracking the paint, but I've been told Peugeot have a special treatment for the metal which prevents rusting ? . This problem only shows on white cars so if you have a coloured car the problem will be bubbling away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should get your Peugeot to phone my Peugeot in blackpool, they should know this problem is serious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to speak too Tara at Peugeot Blackpool she knows all about it.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I am gob smacked to be honest that its happened again, but Edward is dealing with it at Peugeot as he dealt with my previous car. The body shop has told me they are getting someone out from Peugeot to look at the issue and tell them how to proceed with repairs or something... the only concern I got is the alignment of the boot lid at they messed that up big time before, and I just want it put back properly like how it is now before its been messed around with.
I cant see how they can play it down, but I have printed off your pictures to prove a point and they know about my previous GTI to so cannot deny its not a problem, and I agreed and wonder how many other 208s have the problem.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
oh and their special treatment is galvanising as they keep reminding me, but I ask why it rusts if its galvanised and they cant answer that funny enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the spray job and alignment all went well it looks bob on. Here is the number of the body shop that did the work for me, 01253 724641 goodwins body shop. Give them a bell . Here is the number for Peugeot Blackpool, 01253 792840 speak to Tara . All they said at Blackpool Peugeot was " it looks like the wind caught the hatch" .

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I took your pictures down with me to Peugeot bodyshop in Cardiff today to prove a point that it must be a problem and needs to be fed back to the factory. The engineer said he will keep the pictures and when the Peugeot rep shows to meet me he will provide him with your pictures to. The engineer agreed that if the body of the car has colour such as red or black it wouldn't show up the problem and wondered himself how many are doing it, and agreed Peugeot put hardly no paint there which is the problem when water rests in that area.
I just really hope they get my alignment right this time.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
thanks for the phone numbers to I am considering calling them as I have my doubts about the competence of the bodyshop I took it to in Cardiff, but it would be a drive for me from wales to blackpool. how long did they have your car for?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking the body shop could give you the advice you need because they have had the experience with my car, and give Tara in service a call because I think Peugeot should know about this problem every time it pops up, and Tara was very helpful and got it sorted. He initially said it would take a day but They had my car about 3 days but I think they had someone in the body shop explaining how French manufacturers treat the body work. So he says. But yes they did a great job.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
my hinges are all fixed and the alignment is spot on. Griffin Mill have done a very good job to be fair in comparison to the other dealer I used on my old gti

1 - 20 of 20 Posts