Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peugeot (and Renault) made a fairly big hoo-hah in regards to the Arkamys speaker set-up when they launched the 208 in France however I can't remember them mentioning it here in the UK at all but does anyone know if this 'special' technology is implemented across the whole range? I've an Active and the speaker system is truly crap as other users on this forum have said so. It's just that I though it might have been reserved for those with Allure and Feline specs. I've had 5 207s which have all truly impressed me, hence why I bought 5 of them (not at the same time of course)!I think the fact that the speakers are so weak does have something to do with the touch screen. I'm no hardware expert buy I'm pretty sure the system would need a half-decent audio chip in order to provide us with powerful music but seeing as the electrics in the system are so cheap we end up with inconsistent sound. It's, and I'm guessing here, terribly difficult to replace because the whole screen needs to be removed. That's the biggest hindrance because Fifth Gear did a bit on their program where Plato improved the set-up on a 2002 Focus and the first thing he said to remove is the head of the system rather than the speakers.
Edit: Would it be possible to change the speakers' in favour of the ones on the 207 / 308?
Also the very little bass there is on the Bluetooth, USB and AUX inputs doesn't seem to be on the radio. It used to be the same across all mediums on the 207 so for it to be like this on the newer system, you'd think they'd have improved (and yes I do have the audio settings set to my liking for all mediums).
Edit 2: When using the AUX and selecting music options the so-called amplifier settings always be on high but the music won't sound like it's on high so what I have to do every time is drag it from high to low, press OK, go back onto the same menu and drag back onto high in order for the sound to actually be high! Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I thought that the ArkamysSpeaker System doesn't refer to actual speakers but to the software that controls 'presence' in the cabin. It turns a 2 channel stereo system into a 5.1 home theatre like sound. I have played with this in the menus and as you adjust the 'point of focus' of the sound it doesdefinitelychange what you are hearing. Sometimes for the worse.

Re speakers, except for cars that have 'named brand' speaker systems (i.e. Bose in BMW's) I expect OEM's never to give you the quality of sound that even relatively inexpensive 3rd party ones can deliver. I upgraded to infinity's (which weren't that expensive) in my Clio 10 years ago and there was a verynoticeablydifference. When the piggy bank gets fat again I will be doing the same for my new 208 THP. Other forum members have recommended, Hertz (made in Italy) and Alpine. I'd consider the Infinity Reference series again.

I just wish someone will provide me with a confirmed size details for both front and rear speakers and if 'shallow' fittings' are required in either location.

Edited by: esterhazy

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
After SMEG 3.21 update, the sound level is now low when compared to other versions. That makes Arkamys speakers a bit innocent under attack of SMEG software.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts