Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted an Android head unit in place of the OEM Smeg unit?

If so, any recommendations or experiences (good or bad) would be useful to hear.

Cheers:wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think i will see if there comes a solution here i looking for same option maybe a unit there support both apple carplay and android auto.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are several YouTube videos showing a variety of Android units in the 208, however they all appear to be non-UK installations. I'm interested to see if any UK members have any input or experience of this kind of swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't do it is my advice!

Of all the 'mods' I have done to my Pug, this is the one I regret spending money on the most.
I used mine for about a week before I swapped it back for the original head unit.

Whilst I can't speak for the other models available, I tried this one out (but do your own research on your preferred model first):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-2-Car-Android-9-0-Radio-for-Peugeot-208-2008-Stereo-GPS-Navigation-Headunit/292867568851?hash=item44304474d3:g:EAoAAOSwyUxc5ODV

The issues I found were that is is the display is too large; too similar to a tablet and easily seen from outside the vehicle. So much so that I was afraid to leave my car parked out on the road in case it was mistaken for a tablet and stolen. Also able to clearly see the screen through the back windscreen from a car travelling behind.

If you're in the UK, it only outputs data in metric which means that the info which appears on the matrix on the dash is in KM/h, and your cruise control/speed limiter goes out of whack and you have to do on the fly conversion. It also did not work with the speed limiter system in the first place, and will not remember your 'memo' speeds. Don't even try to get it to understand your TPMS.

The rear view camera output is very poor quality/fuzzy, and the built in GPS does not work so well - you'll have to use your wifi instead.

The buttons on the display are permanently lit, and very bright at night. The screen does dim with your headlights, but not the buttons. They are also touch sensitive, but not physical buttons so it is hard to adjust volume by touch as you're driving. Does not work with steering wheel controls at all (though claims to).

Does not support Apple Carplay in the usual sense - it's more mirror sync and you'll need to install an app. If you have your phone vertically in a cradle it will appear vertically on the screen. The in car USB next to your cigarette socket does not connect to the unit in any way. Comes with a USB adapter but such a slow transfer speed, I had trouble playing music from my USB stick. Also a difficult to use file system for your USB music collection, making it not so easy to select an album as you're driving.

The connectors are cheap and will probably fall off on their way out of the bag. When you swap it back to the original head unit, you will need the strength of a thousand men and several swear words to separate the quadlock connector.

Pros:
Does have CANbus but it's pretty ropey.
Can install Spotify, Waze, usual android apps and use it pretty much as a computer w/ remote desktop, etc.
Can watch TV/Movies - I guess this is useful if you don't have that in your home and you prefer the luxury comfort of a car seat?
Ability to add aftermarket reverse camera but the quality is so awful so I wouldn't bother.
Easy to return!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Definitely food for thought there, and some interesting points raised.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After doing a bit of research, I have decided to go for it and have ordered an Android unit.

The SMEG unit as an OEM fitment in the car is very basic, and has developed a fault on one of the output channels, so will be getting potted either way. As I want to integrate a sat-nav function into the GUI (which my car doesn't currently have), the Android unit appears to be the cheapest option, while retaining the look of the original system.

A local car audio installer says they can fit and set up the unit professionally for a very reasonable fee, and I'll update progress and any developments as they happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rasmus,

Please see the following thread Touch Screen upgrade which will give you an idea of the upgrade. The DAB radio is awful, but I have gotten around this by streaming radio from my phone, which works out more reliable for me than using my phone as a wifi hotspot.

Cheers
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts