Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 208 1.2vti 5dr allure from a well known dealer in glasgow, they have clasifieds on e-bay they said it was shark mettalic grey & had 3000 miles on it so i phoned them from my home in edinburgh as i was definitely interested.It took me three days phoning to nudge the salesman to get off his backside to go out and check that the colour advertised was correct & was told i think! it is actually spirit grey mettalic which he thought was far better than common shark grey.I had to e-mail him pictures of my 9yr old 206 1.4hdi to haggle for the best trade in price against the 208 above,which was eventualy successful £1,500 happy.I accepted the deal and arranged to pay the balance in cash & was now informed the dealership computer had not been updated and the 208 now had 5300 miles on the clock,but was in immaculate condition with all the bells & whistle extras including electric folding mirrors,pretty vital to me as the missus drives it all the time due to my failing health & she uses a lot of tesco & shopping mall car parks.I swithered & bought the car which was then delivered to me in edinburgh,luckily me & the wife were delighted with the condition & colour of car.It took me a couple of days to find it didn,have auto folding mirrors they never got back to me but told me it should have. After many painstaking hours on the internet reading conflicting opinions i realised the answer was no it did not have auto folding mirors.Iam still livid about this bum info,just as well we love the car in every other way.("And we all lived happily ever after)"fingers still crossed!
Dipstick. Edited by: dipstick

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
The auto folding door mirrors come with the full electric pack on the 5 door allure.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
dipstick said:
I purchased a new 208 1.2vti 5dr allure from a well known dealer in glasgow
Are we speaking about an Arnold Clark?
If so god help you, scum of the earth when it comes to car dealers

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! No they don,t i,m afraid, i bought a 5 door allure in spirit grey last week and also was sure they did and finally found it is a £100.0 factory otional extra the 5 door allure comes with heated electric mirrors only with no folding drive motors fitted.

From.Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Unless I'm missing something (which is more than likely
) I feel the 5dr allure is very poor value compared to 3dr.
Obviously if you need the 5 doors so be, but it's the same difference in price as other spec between 3dr/5dr yet looses out as has seats that are Nowhere Near as nice and doesn't have the chrome tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"SUSPECT! DEALERSHIPS" No the dealer i bought it from i wouldn,t give the time of "day" to in future do you know the dealer now? the clue is highlighted above.The car is fine more by accident! than diligence from this utterly inept dealership who when asked important questions tell you i think the answer is this & not i know for sure the answer is this,only the latter is of any use to a prospective buyer, the dealership is run in a slipshod & amateur fashion.Can anyone tell me if there is anybody with some clout you can speak to who has some sway over these inept couldn,t care less dealerships,if there is can any member let me know the details as i want to take my fallout with this dealer further so that future customers do not have the same disasterous experience that i had,i am really bemused as to whether they are really trying to sell! cars or bull---t. Any info would be "very very welcome" to sort this lot out!

From.Dipstick.
Edited by: dipstick

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[SUSPECT DEALERSHIPS!] No the dealership i bought it from i wouldn,t give the time of "day" to in future do you know the dealer now? the clue is highlighted above.The car is fine more by accident! than diligence from this utterly inept dealership who when asked important questions tell you i think the answer is this & not i know for sure the answer is this,only the latter is of any use to a prospective buyer, the dealership is run in a slipshod & amateur fashion.Can anyone tell me if there is anybody with some clout you can speak to who has some sway over these inept couldn,t care less dealerships,if there is can any member let me know the details as i want to take my fallout with this dealer further so that future customers do not have the same disasterous experience that i had,i am really bemused as to whether they are realy trying to sell! cars or bull---t. Any info would be "very very welcome" to sort this lot out!

From.Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I have folding mirrors on my 3 door Allure. They cost me £100.00 as a factory ordered extra.
It is all perfectly clear in the published specifications for each model.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi! You may be right that the information is available somewhere,but with a new car you first refer to the handbook for info which tells you all about how to operate your heated electric folding mirrors & dosen,t say that the 5dr 1.2vti does not have the folding function as standard & leads you to believe it does,unless this info is tucked away in some other elusive chapter in this modern user unfriendly handbook the detailed specification of each model should clear and concise at the very beginning of the handbook so that you can scroll your finger down the list & find out quickly the extras that are pertinent to your model before delving into the chapter jumping back & forward method to find out about the more complex innards of your chosen model.The handbooks of 20-30yrs ago were far more user friendly than the modern ambiguous garbage.They have started to go down the same road as new mobile phone guide books having to flick back and forward for god knows how long to find the basic important info you first want to know.To get back to my original thread, why for the sake of £100.00 supply expensive mirrors and leave out the folding power motors on the allure which is far from being the base model,but give you all the so called coool trendy extras some of which are less important to have than a very necessary extra if
like me your wife uses tesco & other shopping malls often,the worst places to get you mirrors damaged that i have experienced!

But i assume you disagree with the above opinion. Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
The best place for specifications is on the Peugeot website.
There are pages showing all the available options and which model has them as standard and which models they are available as optional extras.
The handbook is designed to cover all models.
If every model had its own handbook, what happens when electric folding mirrors are specified on a 3 door Allure. They would not be in the standard Allure handbook.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry! the best place for specification information should be well informed & thoroughly trained friendly eager to please staff at all main dealerships then sales of the 208 would go through the roof.I say this because everybody is not computer literate,nor wants to be, particularly prevalent in the more senior citizens group but not exclusively as they were not brought up with computer/mobile phone/web site ideology, so i see no reason why they should not be able to get the same well informed information available to web surfers from all peugeot main dealerships & reading the many posts on this site alone stares you in the face that this essential component is blatantly not available to them & is in need of an overdue urgent overhaul if peugeot do not wish to end up like all the once renowned british motor brands who are now extinct or sold of for a song to other eager opertunist countries who can,t believe thier green with envy good luck! I,m sure i don,t have to remind the british public of the once renowned british brands i am referring to.

From.Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi Dipstick, Before I bought my 208 my dealer meticulously printed out all of the specification sheets for the various models together with a list of all the available optional extras together with the fitting costs. I found the information quite surprising in the differences between 3-door and 5-door specifications of the same model type. I did manage to catch the salesman out with a technical question about the touch screen though

It seems that some dealerships will go 'the extra mile' .

By the way I am also in my 60'sand it's good to know that we 'oldies' can still manage with new technology.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi! I am 66 and took early retirement 10yrs ago for health reasons & and luckily am computer literate.You must be one of the very lucky ones to get that degree of attention to detail from a main dealer,if everyone on this site had received the same first class service bestowed on them this thread of main dealer derision/debate would not have arisen.Sadly for peugeot it has been found to be not the case,ihope for their sake they take all the feedback on this issue to heart or they mind end up like our extinct renowned british brands,"the jury is out" so let,s keep our fingers crossed.

Dipstick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I paid extra to have folding mirrors on my Allure 1.6 HDI 1.6 e-HDI 92

I also paid extra for extra USB, and other stuff, finally adding Sat Nav because it only added £150 to the options list !

Amusingly, my car was a highly specific order with all the options, extra, choice of colour, etc. BUT the dealer got it wrong, and typed"1.4 HDI" instead of "1.6 HDI" on the final order that went to Peugeot (the hand written version was correct). I waited 7 weeks for the car only to be told that it had arrived with the wrong engine, so a fresh order had to be sent, and after 5 months total wait I had my 208.

The wrongly ordered 208 sat on their forecourt for 6 months before they could shift it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts