Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid there is going to be quite the chunk of writing here. So I'm sorry about that in advance

Right so I'm 20 years old, just starting a new job and my old little fiesta has backed up and died.
Which is rather sad in itself as it was 15 years old and been in my family since its creation. It breaks my heart to lose that little car :(

So now I'm looking at getting myself my first new car. This should be an exciting time but got to say I'm terrified as I have it down to two now however I have reservations on both of them.

I AM BEGGING YOU- to be as impartial as possible even if this is a Peugeot forum :L

- A Peugeot 208 Allure 1.2 in white

What I like about it
<ul>[*]The exterior style is brilliant
[*]Interior is just fantastic[*]Steering is tight and love the wheel[*]love all the tech inside[*]plenty of space[*]Good acceleration
[/list]My worries
<ul>[*]Never owned a Peugeot nor do I know anyone who has. So with all the car magazines often talking badly about French cars I'm worried about its Overall Reliability[*]The clutch biting point feels extremely high. Is there anyway to lower this?[*]The gearbox/lever feels and sounds really clunky
[*]Windscreen wipers looked like I made them myself :L (now this was on the lowest spec model i test drove today as it was sunny when i tested the allure so may be different on other models)[/list]

Bonus question- How hard would it be to get a spoiler (similar to that of the GTI) fitted on it? and what sort of price could it be? As I saw the GTI this week and it looks fantastic
- Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25 white (Full Dress kit)

What I like about it
<ul>[*]Very reliable[*]sense of familiarity
[*](FOR ME) a much better gearbox[*]Exterior styling is quite nice[*]Can add a body kit for only £500 (Dress up as they call it :L )[*]Drive really smoothly overall[*]LOVED HILL START (If something like this existed on the 208 that would be a decider :L)[*]Cheaper than 208
[/list]

What I don't like
<ul>[*]Bit boring
[*]Interior is outdated (IMO)[*]Preferred the small steering wheel of 208[*]worried style of fiesta will change radically soon as hasn't change much since 2008[*]Feels like an old persons car or maybe just the too safe bet[*]SOOO many others on the road[/list]

So to summarize my questions here

<ul>[*]How reliable are Peugeot and the 208?[*]Any fix for high biting point[*]how do you all find the gearbox?[*]How are the 208 wipers ?
[*] How hard would it be to get a spoiler (similar to that of the GTI)
fitted on it? and what sort of price could it be? As I saw the GTI this
week and it looks fantastic
[*]How do you HONESTLY think the two compare?
[/list]

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Hey Dap.
Well well well. The fiesta or the 208. I know the fiesta gets better reviews and have heard a lot of good things about them. However I cannot comment on them as Ive never drove one, nor owned one. They are both very nice cars so I would go for whichever one works out cheaper.
The 208 gearbox is a bit clunky but its nice to have that feel of solidness instead of floppy linkages. Yes of course you can get and fit the spoiler however it is expensive. Changes the whole appearance of the car though

As youve mentioned the speed ain't too bad on the 208 for what it is and its cheap insurance and 20 a year road tax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much is it likely to cost for the spoiler from a dealer?
Considering the one i would get is a white allure

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum !
the fiesta is a great car to drive , but so is the 208 ..
I test drove the Fiesta ST & 208GTi (and a few others) before settling on the 208 .
don't worry too much about the reliability (warranty will cover most things) but I came from a 3yr old Audi TTS & in the 6 months i had it I had nothing but trouble 5 separate warranty calls .
after all this I gave up on the "well made" "German Quality" and opted for the fun car !

the interior of the 208 far surpasses the Fiesta & for me this was the clincher . . . .

I am very happy with my 208 ... but in the end no one can make the decision for you , you have to go with what you feel happiest with ........ hope this helps !!

A high clutch is a sign of it getting close to needing a new one , are you buying a used or new car !??

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Ive had both. Grrr The fiesta drives better when your hard in a corner, the rest of the time is horses for courses. The 208 rides better on today's pot holed roads. Take a look at Duff's example. There is clearly
room to make your car stand out. A fiesta will never stand out as everyone and there grandma has one.
Build quality now days is the best its ever been. However if you are unlucky enough to buy a Friday car, then Mcgauky will confirm, even the Germans build a bad one.
I personally think that the Pug edges it by making you feel special.
As far as the clutch concern goes. You may find that your old Fiesta had a bit of a stretch in the clutch cable dept. This makes new cars feel that there clutched are biting to hard. You will get used to that in a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I made the jump and decided to get one :D

SO my White 208 Allure 3dr comes off the production time sometime this week :) so few weeks from delivery then but cant wait :D

still looking into the whole spoiler thing but at present £430 fitted and sprayed is the cheapest I have seen

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Oh yes, we'll said tallpaul. You must inform broker of any modification. If you have a major claim, they will try their best to get out of paying out. Fail to disclose, is a favourite

1 - 11 of 11 Posts