Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im 6 weeks in from owning my new 208 GTi from brand new on Sept 1. Overall I am well impressed by the car and I am very pleased with it. Handling is amazing along with performance and general road handling. As a previous 207 GTi owner this car was well worth the upgrade! I am soo glad that I went with the Sat Nav option and heated seats and arm rest as optional extras.

But 6 weeks in how is the car performing at just 1400 miles on the clock?

1. A squeak has developed in the clutch pedal and this has gone in twice for inspection with a Peugeot dealer. Apparently its a known issue so is under review.
2. The horn has developed a fault and stops working. New horn being ordered and installed this week!
3. Sat Nav is excellent and the level of mapping detail and precision is spot on! I have reached several destinations with no problems at all. Turn by turn directions and overall experience is the same as TomTom! My only slight issue is that it dosent do destination by post code. Also there is a problem where the time to destination is wrong on quite a few occasions. For example a 1 hour trip was calculated as being 15 hours! The car must have been assuming I was walking not driving!

4. I am impressed by the fuel economy and in 6th gear at 55mph on a flat road I am achieving around 59 mpg! that beats a 1.4 eco car!

5. The in-built entertainment is pretty excellent and as a previous owner of Pioneer's in car entertainment systems this Peugeot variant is spot on! Some great features and the sound reproduction is excellent.
6. Performance is amazing! and boy does it move!

What is happening with Peugeot Connect Apps as advertised on the website? There is no update as to what is happening with this service and ideally it would be handy to download apps directly onto a USB pen drive from Peugeots website. Are there any plans to do a Dash Command version so that you can inspect the vehicles internal monitoring and sensors? There is very good potential here so I hope Peugeot will fully exploit the apps and USB feature.What is missing from my new GTi is some additional onscreen graphics and illustration to show a bit more about what is going on with the vehicles sensors and performance indicators. I know a total geek here!!

Overall a big thumbs up!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
went with the standard alloys although they do look pretty cool! alot better than the ones on the 207 GTi and very easy to clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love the idea of the apps. The screen seems so under utilised at the moment and why blue? surely it should be running with the red theme of the GTI interior?!?! Software really needs a refresh.....

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
totally agree. just did a search on the web and I cant see any update or links to downloading apps onto a USB stick. Some great potential here which Peugeot seem to be neglecting! the entertainment system is clearly connected to the ECU of the car so I cant see why they havent developed some sort of petrol head geek app like Dash Command or Torque. Dissapointing to say the least! You can buy a bluetooth OBD2 unit to plug into the dataport in the glovebox and download an app for your phone or tablet but it would be soo much nicer to get this kind of functionality built into the car as technically all thats required is to write an app and put it on a USB stick. I cant seem to find any information about how this could be done as I have some programming background. Not sure what software is running on the display etc.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/iphone/index.php

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
The display is simply an LVDS enabled monitor which is connected to the SMEG headunit behind it. Looking at the files in the 3.17 update zip it looks like the SMEG unit is running on Wind River VxWorks which is a software platform for embedded systems. I too am hoping that the system is hack-able, perhaps homebrew software will bring useful additions in the future!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlueFin said:
The display is simply an LVDS enabled monitor which is connected to the SMEG headunit behind it. Looking at the files in the 3.17 update zip it looks like the SMEG unit is running on Wind River VxWorks which is a software platform for embedded systems. I too am hoping that the system is hack-able, perhaps homebrew software will bring useful additions in the future!
you mention a 3.17 update? what does it do? and where did you get it from? got a link?

thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tarmac_terrorist said:
I don't think the Stereo is great.

Otherwise a cracking little motor.

There are definitely some bugs with the new software that's for sure.

If i'm on a Bluetooth call and when i hang up my iPod classic seems to start from track 1 of however many are in my ipod and it starts from Z and works backwards, it won't resume from my playlist that i would be listening to before the phone call, very annoying.

Also the speakers suck balls but i think we all knew they wouldn't be great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts