Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up new gti back Mid August, got 3000 miles on clock, love the car,but! Had creeking noise from front strut after three months, took it back, they greased it up and it seemed to cure it. Then a few weeks ago it came back even worse. Again took it back and while there asked them to check rear brakes as they would stick on when left overnight. Garage phoned to say it needs a new strut bush and rear discs are badly scored! on a six month old car? Anyhoo, they then told me they cannot get hold of new parts and they will have to get them from France! In the meantime they put car back together with old parts and said they will be in touch when new parts arrive. That was a week ago and i'm still waiting. How can a major car manufacture not have the spares in stock, and why have these parts worn out so quick? Seems like a design fault to me, not happy, phoned peugeot uk headquarters to get it sorted, told them i want a new car! Some chance! Anyone else had same problems?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Hi, have GTI myself since sept/oct 5800 on the clock have similar locking of brakes when parked over-night not taken it back for that yet but will do. Just been in touch with Peugeot about the satnav not accepting full UK post code apparently they are working on new software but I wouldn't hold your breath! Good luck with your other problems.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Sticking brakes isn't a specific 208 problem. It happens with all cars, especially if they have big open alloys, the rain gets easy access to the brake discs. All this wet weather/roads don't help. One way you can get round it is by leaving the car in gear, handbrake off when parked up (if safe to do so!).

....I don't think you'll get anywhere with Peugeot regarding the brakes

·
Registered
10 Posts
My front disks and pads had to be replaced after only 2000 miles as they were badly scored, my back brakes also stick on but I know that it happens with all cars. A mechanic friend of mine said a brake clean should help but I'm not so sure if that would help it tbh.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Did you have to pay for that Raymo or did Pug replace as a goodwill gesture? Brakes aren't covered under warranty are they???

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't buy my car through a Peugeot dealership, it's a 13 plate but had only done 2000 miles. I had a one month warranty with them (Arnold Clark), they said because it had been sitting on the forecourt for about 6 weeks the disks were corroded on the surface and when used it scored the disks. I am not sure as there was a deep score on the drivers side which could have been a stone. I must admit their customer service is way ahead of Peugeot's. I'm sure I read in the warranty that the disks aren't covered but I would say to Peugeot to change them due to the other problems experienced if they say no then threaten them to go to the papers etc. Good luck frog!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
mmmmm Never been a fan of AC I must admit. Our local dealership changed to AC recently and as a result I went up to Elgin to order mine. Maybe they're not as bad as everyone makes out though!
Was yours an ex-demo? I was tempted by the ex-demos I saw on Autotrader, but I feared the problems from the raggin' they got on test drives (going by how my OH treats them anyway!!), could've saved myself £5K+ but just decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Hope the rest of your time with GTI is trouble free then!!

....sorry for hijacking the thread.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got car back, and rear new discs scored when they delivered car back!!! They had changed discs, but not the pads!! Bunch of knobs!! Awaiting their response. Any one with half a brain knows to put new pads with new discs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would that not be a safety issue Frog?

Very bad practice, (if not dangerous), at the least to put old pads on new discs.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Muppets!!! Fills you with confidence, not.......

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The rear discs on my GTI are badly scored and the fronts pitted after 2 weeks/500 miles. Technician tried to say I must be riding the brakes all the time (which needless to say I'm not)!

Emailed peugeot hq direct and asked for all pads/discs to be changed.

First ever peugeot and I'm shocked by the state of the discs.

Owned 7 cars from new and none of my previous we're this bad after 20,000 miles.

Signed up to a 3 year PCP deal assuming I wouldn't be paying out for any extras ( as I do low Milage).

This'll be my last peugeot too unless customer services acknowledge the fault and rectify. What the hell are the discs/pads made out of. The GTI must be the only hot hatch where you'd better not use the brakes!

Rant over for now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem with the rear brakes, since 3000 miles,after the car has been parked having been driven in the wet. Peugeot have cleaned the brakes twice and are now adamant that the problem is due to wear and tear (after 3000 miles? I don't think so)Also having the same problem with the front strut, again told by Peugeot main dealer that this is due to the material used on the 208 GTI suspension. Absolutely adore the car but now thinking about upgrading the brakes at my own expense after living with it for 15k miles. Not sure what can be done about the suspension though.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Same problems with my GTI, had new rear brakes last August after 11k miles. And now next week it's booked in for new strut top mounts to hopefully stop the creaking and a new touch screen after it kept freezing in the colder weather.

Things can only get better (I hope)

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Did the dealer sort the brakes under warranty or claim the old wear and tear.

Cracks me up having owned the last 5 cars from new (for 3 years and between 20-25,000 miles) and never needing to replace even pads (all makes too from skoda, fiat, ford, seat and even MG) that Peugeot claim that it's how I am driving the GTI that is leading to the heavy wear.
Strange as I drove every other manufacturer the same and no issues. And let's not forget we're talking about a £19000 HOT HATCH. Just be really gentle on the brakes.
Rant over shame is I really love the car apart from the apparent poor quality discs/pads.
Oh and my front suspension is creaking now too!!!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hi mate Id agree i have had 15warrantyissues in my 10 month ownership car will be going back for good if they cannot fix this one.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Just one of the reasons why I loath taking my car to a dealership to get serviced. Changing discs without new pads?? Laughable! Hopefully the 'apprentice' which did the work has learned from his mistake. I hope it gets sorted for you.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
27000km on my Pugly and only problem had was broken wire off turbo sensor. My rear discs are scored too but I don't care they work fine. It is only the rear. The discs are obviously really soft so when I replace them I will go after market.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Just posted my fault sounds similar, they (peugeot) have just got back to me saying it was a stone that has got caught in the brake discs(ppphh!) and its scored it badly but they can repolish the disc rather replace with new. Peugeot, think it stands for imagineering. not much help but will let you know what develops.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts