Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been hearing a knocking noise from the drivers side when I go over speed bumps it doesn't happen all the time and Peugeot have heard the noise but not able to pin point what it is. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and what was it?
thanks

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi by the sound of it. It could be the engine mounting either the top or bottom one I had a similar problem on my 308 had both done under warrenty but still had problem it was sorted in the end by a master technician from peugeot with some silicone grease on the top engine mounting. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll today I found out that Peugeot are apparently aware of the problem and looking for a fix so in the meantime my dealer has greased up the top mount and engine mount which has done nothing as I still get the same knock going over a speed bump just as I hit it or a bump in the road. I have been told I just have to wait now until Peugeot decide how to fix it. I have put in a complaint because try have known since may and still nothing and I think all 208 may do it at some point ?? Don't quote me I am really annoyed by this and would like to know if any of you have had this prob and what was done to fix it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had the same thing it sounded like a knocking from the passenger side worse at low speeds. I have had my car at the garage today and it is not the suspension but the steering plate. My 208 is only 6 months old so thankfully it is covered as the new part is going to cost around £1500. Maybe worth getting them to check that for you.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I find the suspension is noisy over pot-holes etc. It is disappointing, it just sounds nasty. Mine is due for a service next month, so I will mention it. I have a 1.2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else managed to get a fix out of Peugeot for this problem? I have a 1.2vti allure and am experiencing the same problems. It seems to have started around the 3000 mile mark. On an uneven road surface there is a very noticeable knocking noise coming from what sounds like the passenger side. It varies though and sometimes it sounds like its coming from the whole front end. Other times the knock can sound like a loud creeking noise. If I have passengers in the car it gets really bad, turning the steering wheel produces the noise, uneven road surfaces produce the noise, crawling at slow speeds is terrible. It is like a loud knock/creeking that doesn't seem to go away.

Could it be anything else or is is 100% the steering plate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Put two bricks behind the front wheels on a flat part of the road, release the handbrake and put your hand around the track rod behind the front wheel and rock the car onto the bricks, if you feel a crunch new track arms needed. its a common fault i believe but good look getting Peugeot to fix it...

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just collected my car after 3 months pushing to have the strut top mount on drivers side replaced I can say it has now been done and the noise appears to have gone fingers crossed it doesn't come back as it was really annoying

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it back as the noise is still there really not happy with this GTI but I will have to live with it until 2 years is over and then part ex for a mini roadster cooper s as I like the look of them and never had a convertible before.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone had this problem fixed ?? its getting on my nerves I love the car but really peed off with Peugeot as they don't seem to be bothered and don't care to get the problem fixed I think the next route is for them to get someone from the factory in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 208 1.4 HDI which was new in April. I've had tremendous problems with noise from the steering rack and the delaership have replaced parts of the ball joints, wheel bearings and shock absorbers. The car was really noisy and creaky like other posts have indicated. The work does seem to have sorted the creaking out but now the steering wheels is squeaking. Anyone any ideas? Its been back so many times its untrue.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi all
I called Peugeot today and told them its still banging and the manager told me they replaced the passenger side. I was gob smacked as I told them loads of time its the drivers side so they have booked it in to do the drivers side strut mount now next Wednesday fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well they replaced the other strut and guess what its still banging im convinced its the drop link or anti roll bar bushes but they think because there is no play when hanging off them it wouldn't cause the noise lol. useless is an understatement for the dealer I have complained to Peugeot now as two different people have looked at my car away from Peugeot and believe its the drop links as it only makes the knocking going over a short sharp bump in the road or when I go over a speed bump regardless of speed.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
kyle_barnes said:
well they replaced the other strut and guess what its still banging im convinced its the drop link or anti roll bar bushes but they think because there is no play when hanging off them it wouldn't cause the noise lol. useless is an understatement for the dealer I have complained to Peugeot now as two different people have looked at my car away from Peugeot and believe its the drop links as it only makes the knocking going over a short sharp bump in the road or when I go over a speed bump regardless of speed.

Yesterday i took of the wheel and tried to find the problem....

I think i agree with you, i also think its anti-roll bar that causing the "banging" problem. The anti-roll bar are to close to the wishbone and when the whole thing move up the anti-roll bar wants to go down and then the "banging" sound appear. Annoying yes.... but now I know I can drive without to be afraid to loose a tire or something

Maybe a plastic or something in rubber on to anti-roll bar can prevent the sound to sound so much...
Gonna test this next year when its warm outside here in sweden.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a 2013 208 Allure, 1600cc and she has done 2000km in 6 months. I am already hearing the knocking referred. It seems to be coming from the front left corner. Has anyone else had the issue in a brand new 208 too? Cheers..

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Kiwi said:
My wife has a 2013 208 Allure, 1600cc and she has done 2000km in 6 months. I am already hearing the knocking referred. It seems to be coming from the front left corner. Has anyone else had the issue in a brand new 208 too? Cheers..
yes ive got it. But only when in accelerate hard.
my GTi have only 900km on the counter, brand new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys
Seems that I have the same problem, knocking sound from from left side when going on some sharp bump. Changed the front shock absorbers but to no avail because the knocking remained there. Any solutions please?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts