Peugeot 208 Forums banner

401 - 420 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for bringing this back up, I have the same issue, tried to update and then just a black screen but can't seem to get anything to work including using rufus to make the drive run straight away, Anybody able to help please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have been reading all sorts of things about problems with firmware updates...
Can anyone tell me if it is worth updating a 2013 208 to the latest firmware, and what the latest firmware will add to the system.

Thanks for any help you can give me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,
I've update directly from 3.10.E.R4 to version 3.20.A.R3 and everything went well.
Took photos of almost every step and it was straight forward as it was described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.

Sorry for reviving such a long lasting thread, but this seems to be my last port of call before insanity.

Myself and Mrs grabbed a 208 2017 model back in May/June 17. We were told our android phones would work linking them up to use satnav etc. However they didn't, we thought ah well our phones are not compatible with mirror link as we didn't know android auto was a thing (I own Google Pixel, she owns Galaxy Edge).

Fast forward 1 month and my mother-in-law grabs the exact same new 208 17 plate model, same dealer and everything (copy cat!). My phone, my wife's phone and all other phones can connect up to her car with absolutely no problems at all, all the apps like satnav, music and others work perfectly.

Fast forward another 9 months and I've had enough of dealing with Peugeot and our dealers. Who just don't seem to understand what the problem is or are unwilling to help. My wife who had been dealing with them ran into some health problems and was unable to keep up contact with them, so now if we tried again it would probably be starting at square 1.

So I want to turn to you guys! Could you explain what might be happening here and if a firmware/software update would solve our issues? I also read some things about a head display? Although im not sure what this is.

System Version
SMEG6.3.d.R6
CD: 31076
Dated: 27-10-16

Bluetooth Version
Software: 1.2.0

Display Version
Software: 42.03

Thanks in advance!

Steve

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
That unit SMEG IV2 will never support Android Auto. So stop trying :)

Go get the system parameters of your mother-in laws car. I bet you it has the lastest headunit that is totally different to SMEG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for bottom lining it for me Pug

I'm considering taking this further with the dealer, it seems quite obvious they threw in some spare older units into the latest model of car. Which obviously goes against what we were advertised.

I will check the M-I-L's car later on, does anyone know which headunit it should have already?

·
Registered
5 Posts
mcginsa said:
Having had the same issue here (blank screen during update), I wanted to share a fix I discovered that allowed me to avoid dealer fees! (out of warranty)

(I previously ran a 3.21 update and after allowing 25 minutes, discovered that the smeg unit was black screened and apparently dead)

Step 1:
Downloaded the relevant SMEG update - in my case I went for 3.21 (rar file)

Step 2:
Took a USB drive and used software called 'Rufus' to format the drive as fat32.
**IMPORTANT** - as part of the format process, Rufus creates an 'autorun' file on the usb drive. *** (Rufus also allows you to create bootable drives, but this isn't necessary in this case, so de-select that box).

Step 3:
Extracted the downloaded rar straight onto USB and made no other changes. This left me with just : autorun file x 2 and SMEG_UPG folder in root folder of driver.

Step 4:
Placed usb in right hand slot, started engine, and the update 'autoran' and the unit was up and running in 10-15mins.

So my recommendation is that anyone having update issues considers formatting their usb so that it has 'autorun' files also copied on. The software 'Rufus' appears to allow you to create this.
We only have one USB port that we can see, in the central column.

The screen shows "Disc cannot be read".

it's formatted as FAT32 and the root only has the SMEG_UPG folder with the files and three folders inside it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rainsong said:
Hi guys

New member here and proud owner of a Peugeot 208.

I have already learnt a lot from you guys and I feel I should also offer my contribution.

I thought I should post my experience with upgrading the SMEG firmware and despite having that initial error 'no music found' and several attempts playing around with the files and folders I have managed to find the correct way of upgrading it. Because some people might find it a bit hard to understand I will post some pics so people can visualise it. I think where most people go wrong is on how they put the files on the pen. Hopefully it will help someone who is looking into upgrading the firmware.

I should say that my car came with SMEG 3.17 andn then I upgraded one version at at time. First to 3.20 and then to 3.21. Some say that you can upgrade straight into the last version but I did not test that.

Finally, the disclaimer, this is how I have done it and it it just a guide. It worked for me! I do not take any responsibility if something goes wrong with anyone who follows this guide.

STEP 1:
Right click on the USB stick in your file explorer and select Format and make sure FAT 32 is selected.
A Quick Format is good enough.

STEP 2:
Extract the firmware you have downloaded to the USB pen
You will find the links in this thread

STEP 3:
The root of the USB pen should look like this

<screenshot snipped>

Inside the folder, here's what it needs to look like - 3 folders and the loose files (please note these files are for the 3.21 version)

<screenshot snipped>
STEP 4:
As an additional precaution it is recommended to deselect the read only property from the folder and files
Right-click on the SMEG_UPG folder and choose Properties and then deselect the read-only attribute at the bottom and click Apply and OK.

STEP 5:
Go to your car and turn the engine on and keep it on throughout the whole process. Insert the USB stick and follow the instructions. Once it reboots it will ask if you want to upgrade again but since you have already done that just say no and remove the stick.

Job done.

Cheers,
Luis
Currently have 3.17.

We only have one USB port that we can see, in the central column.

The screen shows "Disc cannot be read". Sometimes "Peripheral device not available."

Tried two USB drives (16 GB and 128 GB) and formatted as FAT32 using both Windows 10 and MiniTool's Partition Wizard. Root only has the SMEG_UPG folder with the files and three folders inside it. Tried both 3.20 and 3.21.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
can you confirm this is from YOUR unit.

System Version
SMEG6.3.d.R6

SMEG 6.3.D.R6 suggests a SMEG+IV2 unit. and that is the latest and LAST firmware available.

check your Unit and your Mother In laws version of firmware.

Press the SRC button on both units for approx 10 Seconds. do they both read the same versions?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
There is no "Official" (peugeot) site for firmware. the firmware has been extracted from someone working at PSA (peugeot or Citroen) who has uploaded it to the net.

https://www.gpspower.net/peugeot-citroen.html

is the usual place i check though the last couple of firmwares seem to be hardware specific and the latest (6.4.A.R10)has a bug with FM Reception. you cannot downgrade once you have upgraded the firmware so be wise and try not to brick your Headunit or add bugs into a working HU.

since SMEG is now redundant I would think PSA will be not developing any further firmwares for this unit.

However Peugeot at least have allowed updates to the infotainment and SatNAV in the newer RCC and NAC headunits (2017+) from their main UK website.

the pages below allow newer HU's owners to just enter their VIN number into the webpages(below) and get the instructions and updates for their car.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/servicing/map-system-updates/

http://www.peugeot.ie/service-and-accessories/online-services/map-system-updates.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have just purchased a 2015 plate 2008 model. My system is showing a firmwire version of SMEG5.42.B.R4 CD 26463 Dated 25/11/16

Is there an update to this? If so where do I download please. It hasn't sat-nav just the now pointless "connected apps".

I am having trouble with the USB, whilst it is reading ok, everytime I turn engine back on, it goes back to the same album and same song! Doesn't remember what I was listening to!

Any help appreciated.

401 - 420 of 447 Posts