Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my Ice Velvet in October having traded my reliable 307 xsi. I really enjoy the car and think that the power to weight is spot on but find that the petrol engine could do with 6th gear especially on motorways where there is quite a bit of road noise as well. On the inside I would like to have seen some grab handles above the drivers and passenger doors and the centre arm rest when down leaves access to the handbrake a little difficult. On the plus side the matt paint is easy maintained and looks really well when clean and the kids think that the ambient lighting is cool. My only negative so far is that the dark chrome has peeled of on the grille surround and the wing mirrors this is being rectified under warranty so no complaints there
The car has not completed 3000 miles yet its something that should not have happened. I have been lurking around the forum for a while now but couldn't resist the urge.

Regards to all Pete

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the 208 owners club.
I toyed with the idea of getting a ice velvet but was unsure on the paint, so i went for rioja red instead must admit the ice velvet looks mint glad its okay for you,

i went for the feline in the 1.6 hdi stop start it also has the ambient lighting. a quick tip for you if you have the lighted footwells put some blue led bulbs in, in place of the standard ones it looks brill, i got mine from ebay from a company called argo city, it takes about 5 mins to change them.

let me know if you change them and what you thinks.

bye for now.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Hi Puggyman,
I have a Rioja Red Allure 1.2VTI on order for May build. Do you have any photos of yours as I haven't seen a red one yet and do you know what the paint code is? It is on one of the door pillars.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hi Parrot1566, welcome to the forum, I have had peeling grill and foglamp surrounds , the 'black chrome' looks like a lacquer sprayed onto normal chrome and it hasn't keyed in , not a good look on the top specs - especially after 11k miles, looks quite tatty, I'm having mine sorted on next service I hope - And maybe the Ipod Interference - but hold out much hope ! Great car otherwise

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome.

I have had the flaking chrome problem resolved both wing mirror covers and grille have been replaced under warranty

Just finished the weekly clean and thought that I would add a pic

Oops upside down
Edited by: Parrot1566

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem. The grill has been replaced, but the wing mirrors are very bad, one fog lamp has coating missing and the strip at the top of the windscreen is flaking. My dealer is being very good, but they are having problems sourcing parts. I have been told that Peugeot (in France) have had meetings about the problem, today, and the dealer is awaiting the result.

From my point of view I want a car that is built to the spec as advertised ie with dark chrome. I will not accept "silver" chrome. I have also been told by my dealer that I will be offered some sort of compensation.

It was obvious from the start that this is a design problem, with the coating, and it wasn't tested enough. I now think that the Ice Velvet was brought out just to look attractive in the showrooms and its design was more cosmetic than functional. Don't get me wrong its a lovely looking car, but I am now fed up of work mates and family pointing out the flaking chrome. I hope to find out more on Friday

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to mention on my post that there is a forum in France -

http://www.feline208.net/forum/index.php?sid=5f7b305bbeb49c27b04cbfcb9fab8ac5

You can see the posts about the dark chrome problems here via Google Translate ...

http://www.feline208.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2379

Here is one of the last posts ....."Problem" known hulls Dark Chrome are no longer made ""‹""‹because they have a problem of quality.The Velvet Ice are among the few who had 208 (with 208 Feline pre-set), I do not think you'll get anything by making a claim because these shells do not existThe solution is actually replace all the chrome, but it's so pretty indeed.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Terry

Yes this seems to be quite common and the dealers will do their best to resolve the issues where possible but there seems to be some differences between the dealers and Peugeot resolving this, as you have eluded to earlier the parts do not seem to be available and as such my wing mirrors were replaced with the chrome as opposed to the dark chrome. They don't look too bad as opposed to the flaking dark chrome they are avast improvement. The car looks ok with them but I think I jumped too soon and should have waited on the GTI which is what I wanted.

Cheers Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same with me Pete, I wished I had waited for the GTI. I drove one a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. I am hoping to use the problems with my Ice Velvet as a bargaining tool to swap. Wishful thinking, but worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a telephone from my dealer today. They had heard from Peugeot that Peugeot were going to buy my car back at purchase value and give me a like for like new replacement. I haven't had this confirmed yet but I should know more tomorrow (Friday 17th May). Will keep you posted

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Great news, do I hear the sound of a 208 GTI perhaps ??

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Lols at the you tube link
wasn't expecting that.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Had my car serviced,and at the same time my Flaking Dark Chrome assessed ( waste of time sending photos in beforehand ) - Peugeot say THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY - CAUSED BY STONE CHIPS !! ( Or maybe boulders ? )- although the dealer would replace the grill and fog lamp surrounds as a 'goodwill gesture' - but only once - if it happens again - hard luck !

When I spoke to 'Steve' at Peugeot customer 'care' about the problem on other cars - he said not to believe everything in car forums - - So you all must be making it up !

It was suggested having a bright chrome grill instead - I would settle for an X-Y grill , not an allure, but it seems dark chrome is still fitted to Intuitive and 5 door feline models, so surely this problem has been sorted by now
Still waiting to hear on a decision, and still no luck with the Ipod interference - I don't think that can be cured.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope you get sorted out Terry sounds like a GTI might happen keep us posted on any developments.

Polox your flaking chrome is similar to what I had to put up with although they refused to replace my fog lamp surrounds also due to "stone chips" it will be interesting to hear from other owners as these are not isolated incidents. I can see the grille from the GTI as an option if it happens again

I will give the GTI 6 months to see what happens and probably order one for early 2014.

Cheers Pete

1 - 16 of 16 Posts