Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,Hoping someone can help me with this problem.
About 2 months ago i noticed burning oil smell in the cabin, only subtle.
It steadily got worse so I checked the engine bay, clean as a whistle.
Looked under the car and saw the rear main seal slightly weeping, not dripping.
I checked the oil levels and noticed it was on the high side, about 4mm over the top knob.
At this point I noticed that the car would leave a drop or two on the driveway.
From this point I started nursing the car until I could get it to the mechanic, during this time I noticed the smell was not as bad and it would not leave any drops.
Mechanic checked it out and said everything looks fine, appears to be weeping at the rear main.
He took out some oil so now the level is bang on in the middle of the dip stick.
After that I noticed an improvement when nursing the car, no smell at all however when I give it the beans the smell returns and leaves some drips.
As a final test I nursed the car again and rested overnight, no drops whatsoever. The following day I took it for a spin and gave it some, brought it back and within 5 minutes 5 or so drops and a strong smell.
So it appears that under boost and increased crank case pressure it leaks oil. When driven off the boost and nursed, no oil leak.
Does this sound like a rear main seal or could it be something else that we cant see?
Im gonna take it back to Peugeot and see if they come to the party for a warranty claim, but hoping that the brains trust here might tell me its a common problem with a simple fix (just wishful thinking I know)
Also worth mentioning, the car performs like a dream, drives smooth, pulls hard, so this leak is clearly not impacting the drivability.
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi mate had this with mine.mine had been over filled and as a result started to leak from the timing chain tensioner at the back on left hand side of the engine.
was repaired by garage i purchased car from free of charge.
might be a good place to look for a leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lionelbudge said:
hi mate had this with mine.mine had been over filled and as a result started to leak from the timing chain tensioner at the back on left hand side of the engine.
was repaired by garage i purchased car from free of charge.
might be a good place to look for a leak.
Just got it diagnosed by Peugeot and same thing, oil leaking from timing chain tensioner
Taking it back to my regular mechanic tomorrow to get it fixed
Thank god it wasn't the rear main

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.