Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Ibought my 208 GTi some weeks ago and i'm supposed to receive it tomorrow.
This would be my first turbo car, and i know they need a lil more care.
such as:
- Loose up the engine for about 1000 to 1500 Kms (or 700 to 900 Miles) before squeezing all the HPs from the engine.
- Warm up evry day for 2-3 minutes before taking off.
- Leave the car running for 1 min after hard driving so the turbo can cool down.

Are there more tips to take the best care of a turbo car? Specially for the GTi?
i'll Apretiate every advice!.

Thanks a lot!.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
G'day, my GTi is 9 months old and 13,000 km.There doesn't seem to be any special requirements for 'running in'. I was told to drive normally, but don't cruise at constant speed for long periods. Vary the speed up and down if you're on the highway. In the mornings I let it idle until the idle speed drops back to normal. I don't usually leave it running after hard driving, but the last few km home is in a 50 km/hr zone anyway. Only time will tell if I'm doing the right thing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Info!

when you were told to drive it normaly, that means you can speed at high rev once in a while? and take it easy on the first or two month? or drive it like a GTi should be driven since the first day?
hahahhaa
As you notice i am really excited for this Car!
these weeks have been the longest in History!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Yes, I took it up the the redline occasionally. But if I drove it like a GTi should be driven, I wouldn't have a licence for very long !!!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
My advice buddy.When starting the car wait till the FEC (choke) has ended and the revs settle. Once so you can drive but not hard. Little under normal until the temp hits running temp. Then you can drive it how you want. In a new car I'd say take it easy for 800-1000miles. That means no harshness keeping. It under 3500revs and not letting it idle for too long.
When you have come to a stop, give the engine a minute or two to settle and let the turbo slow down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

I'll try to drive it easy for some time! under 3500 revs

I had a 206 1.6 110 hp(3door) and change gears at 2500-3000rpm and it
was quick enough!

I'll pick it up in 4 hours... just can't wait any longer! hahaha

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
reading this thread has made me so hungry to have a turbo'd car... damn you guys lol!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Idling is bad for new engines - as is cruising at the same rpm. That's why I avoid picking a new car up during peakhour.

Start up should be (warmer climates) - hop in car, start it, seatbelt on, adjust radio or whatever, then drive off smoothly. Cars warm up much quicker when driven than when idled. You should only give it some stick once it has started to get near normal operating temp.

I have to say I subscribe to the theory that when you get a new car you should run it in hard (only when car is up to temp). And i don't mean around the suburbs/city - get out on country roads. Freeways (constant speed, revs) should be avoided. I've done this with 3 bikes and 3 cars and they have all performed well for years with minimal oil usage between services. Use of full throttle and max rev whilst car is moving (not from a standing start). Important to also come off the throttle and gets some engine braking occuring - good for the gearbox and engine. Acceleration from 60-100-60 and 80-120-80km/h runs in gear are good for that.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Pug208GTI said:
Idling is bad for new engines - as is cruising at the same rpm. That's why I avoid picking a new car up during peakhour.

Start up should be (warmer climates) - hop in car, start it, seatbelt on, adjust radio or whatever, then drive off smoothly. Cars warm up much quicker when driven than when idled. You should only give it some stick once it has started to get near normal operating temp.

I have to say I subscribe to the theory that when you get a new car you should run it in hard (only when car is up to temp). And i don't mean around the suburbs/city - get out on country roads. Freeways (constant speed, revs) should be avoided. I've done this with 3 bikes and 3 cars and they have all performed well for years with minimal oil usage between services. Use of full throttle and max rev whilst car is moving (not from a standing start). Important to also come off the throttle and gets some engine braking occuring - good for the gearbox and engine. Acceleration from 60-100-60 and 80-120-80km/h runs in gear are good for that.

Totally agree! works great for me and my cars, never had an issue doing this

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And after some harsh driving with more than 4000 RPMs is it correct to
let the car idle for a minute or 2 so the turbo cools down?

I've read that is not recommended to install a turbo timer....

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
It's advised to let it idle before you turn it off to let the turbo to get oil pumped into it whilst it's still spinning. Otherwise they spin and no oil gets pumped into it, causing damage. Well that's what I've been told.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told that too.

But that was for older turbo cars... now they are supposed to have an
electric pump that circulates the oil such as the cars with Start&Stop
systems!

If you are having fun with the car and the Start&Stop turn the
engine off everyone thought it would damage the turbo, but that's when the electric
pumps begins working...

I do not know for sure, and haven't read anything about that electric
pump for PSA engines...

Anyway I'll let it idle for a bit! That would be the best thing to do.
Wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Yeah mines not start stop though. So I let mine idle to be sure.
Also as far as I know they havnt got an electric pump. Have to have it fitted as extra.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts