Peugeot 208 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum as I have just this week picked up a 2018 208 GTI by Peugeot Sport - aka the first Peugeot I have ever owned. Tickled pink with it – from what I'd read in some reviews about the seating position/steering wheel/dials and Peugeot's media system I was a little concerned about using it as a daily but it is a delight.

Anyway, there are three things which concern me about the car I have bought and I would greatly appreciate any feedback from fellow owners as to whether it is a quirk of the car or something I should be going back to the place I bought it from and asking them to fix.

1) When cold (I'm talking left over night cold) there is a faint rattle on start up. It lasts for no more than 30 seconds to a minute and then goes away. It is not very loud and I think it would be easy to miss if you weren't paying attention

2) When idling it feels/sounds like the engine is misfiring every so often. If I didn't know it was a four-cylinder I'd say it idled like an older three-cylinder engine

3) It feels like there is a slight hesitation (or misfire) when accelerating. It's not all the time but on the occasions I've pinned the throttle and expected smooth acceleration there are definitely times (that last for a split second at most) when there is a momentary dip in power and then it is back to smooth acceleration

Any help/comments would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rattle on the thp 1.6 on startup is well documented. Regular oil changes and sometimes the hydrolic tensioner can cause issues. Mine has done over 140k miles now.. and rattle still happens but dies after 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is interesting to know, thanks. I picked up the car from the garage this evening and the feedback was a dodgy plug was most likely the cause of the misfire/hesitation but they said to give it a decent run or two to be sure. This I am happy to do. Re the rattle they suspect it is the chain and said if the misfire/hesitation persists then I should look at replacing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told by peugeot that the chain should last the life of the car.. I known the tensioner can break or stick meaning incorrect tension on the chain.
Check out mini forums as it's actually a BMW derived engine used in the mini Cooper S as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So just to update folks on this in case anyone else is in the same boat as me. The timing chain has been replaced but the rattle remains. Curiously, I have gained a whining noise and I'm sure it now feels a little down on power at times. The other day I accelerated from maybe 2,500/3,000rpm in third and it felt like there were three flat spots as the revs built.

I'd really like to find the previous owner to find out if they discovered something wrong with the car and hence traded it in as if they could tell me what the issue was it would save me a lot of faff troubleshooting/taking it back and forth to the garage! I've had a look online but I am coming up short. Looking at the old MOTs the car was based in the Carlisle/Workingham area - so if anyone knows of someone who used to drive a red 208 GTI by PS please shout up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the rattle does go once warm. Sometimes it lasts a couple of seconds while other times it can be a minute or two. It is separate to what I think are tappets which make a noise regardless of how long it has been on for - this I'm hoping is just something the engine is known for. I'm wondering if the garage that did the work have not put something back on properly which would explain the whining noise and possibly the flat spots. I should add, the flat spot doesn't feel like it is there all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All I can say is that the rattle on cold start is known.
As my car has done so many miles I'm changing the oil myself every 6k miles now and using 0w 30 as it's better at lower temperatures the 5w 30 think this also helps.

For information if you don't mind me asking how much was the cam chain replacement ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes the rattle does go once warm. Sometimes it lasts a couple of seconds while other times it can be a minute or two. It is separate to what I think are tappets which make a noise regardless of how long it has been on for - this I'm hoping is just something the engine is known for. I'm wondering if the garage that did the work have not put something back on properly which would explain the whining noise and possibly the flat spots. I should add, the flat spot doesn't feel like it is there all the time.
Are these engines chain or belt driven?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chain I believe. Re the cost of the chain replacement I haven't a clue, it was done by the garage I bought it from under the warranty they provided. They seemed convinced enough that the chain was at fault. I am hoping to speak to the mechanic that did the work when I take it back to ask about whether they found anything wrong with the chain when they replaced it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So another update. After getting the car back from the garage I started driving the car with the ventilation and radio turned off to see if it rattles at other times apart from start up. Turns out it rattles when accelerating – it is hard to hear because of road noise, but on quieter stretches you can hear it. I reminds me of the sound that a friend's car used to make when the bottom end bearings went.

Another issue which I have been trying to sort since I got the car is a grinding/rubbing when turning. It makes the noise when you set off and turn (such as out of a T junction) and you don't need to be on full lock for it to happen. If I dip the clutch after setting off the noise stops. Is this normal for a 208 GTI because I have never had a car that makes a noise like this without there being a problem somewhere?

Oh and the car has developed a brake judder. I wouldn't mind but I've been driving like Mother Teresa in case the rattle and grinding are something serious.

The car has since been to Peugeot and found no fault with either the rattle or grinding/rubbing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any chance of a video of this noise ? At least in start up, whilst driving maybe difficult but hey give it a try.

In regards to the brake judder, usually "by the book" that looks to warped brake discs / pads. But issue with the 208 is that the anti roll bar bushes can become worn and they are.moulded to the bar so as you turn it moves to the left and causes it to hit brake caliper and pushses the piston back in and forms a gap. Usually I would expect a brake pedal to the floor with this but something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is interesting about the anti roll bar - worth having a prod around. Yes I have a video - although it was taken a few weeks back when I was first trying to get the garage to investigate. In the video, it isn't the tappet noise I am worried about as I am assuming that is just the tappets – it is the cyclic rattle I am concerned about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum as I have just this week picked up a 2018 208 GTI by Peugeot Sport - aka the first Peugeot I have ever owned. Tickled pink with it – from what I'd read in some reviews about the seating position/steering wheel/dials and Peugeot's media system I was a little concerned about using it as a daily but it is a delight.

Anyway, there are three things which concern me about the car I have bought and I would greatly appreciate any feedback from fellow owners as to whether it is a quirk of the car or something I should be going back to the place I bought it from and asking them to fix.

1) When cold (I'm talking left over night cold) there is a faint rattle on start up. It lasts for no more than 30 seconds to a minute and then goes away. It is not very loud and I think it would be easy to miss if you weren't paying attention

2) When idling it feels/sounds like the engine is misfiring every so often. If I didn't know it was a four-cylinder I'd say it idled like an older three-cylinder engine

3) It feels like there is a slight hesitation (or misfire) when accelerating. It's not all the time but on the occasions I've pinned the throttle and expected smooth acceleration there are definitely times (that last for a split second at most) when there is a momentary dip in power and then it is back to smooth acceleration

Any help/comments would be much appreciated.
I can hear a slight something, but could just be a chain start up rattle. Tbh your only sure fire was is replace the chain, tensioners and guide rails to be sure. But it could just be "Peugeot" thing , unfortunately u work more with 1.2 petrols lower end. I would personally just ensure you get the car serviced as a must every year.or 4k miles.

The sluggish , you may want to check state of the throttle bottle as they may need a good clean. Misfire I would look at spark plugs and coil springs and then check air filter and run some redex fuel injector cleaner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can hear a slight something, but could just be a chain start up rattle. Tbh your only sure fire was is replace the chain, tensioners and guide rails to be sure. But it could just be "Peugeot" thing , unfortunately u work more with 1.2 petrols lower end. I would personally just ensure you get the car serviced as a must every year.or 4k miles.

The sluggish , you may want to check state of the throttle bottle as they may need a good clean. Misfire I would look at spark plugs and coil springs and then check air filter and run some redex fuel injector cleaner.

That is good to know I am not going crazy imagining things. I know the chain and tensioners have been done but I shall ask about the guide rails. Thanks for the notes on the other points.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine does the same.. has done since new.. it's a known issue with the 1.6 thp engine I was told ..I've done 142k miles in mine.. mini coopers are the same I read as this was a bmw / peugeot derived engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To close this thread off. The car ended up going to Peugeot for diagnostics who came back and said that listening to the two main noises from the engine, one is the tappets and the other sounds like a worn component. For the latter Peugeot said it would expect the issue to get progressively worse over time but they would need to have the car for longer to find the exact cause. Instead of leaving Peugeot to it, the garage I bought the car from took Peugeot's findings and were going to have yet another go at in-house investigations and repairs. They failed (there were a couple of other issues that Peugeot investigated and they failed to sort those either) and as a result I returned the car. A bit of a shame really as I liked the car and there aren't any more for sale that meet my requirements – or at least not that I could find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts