Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 208 since new, early/mid 2012, and for the first 20 or so months, it had been good, only with a few niggles which I have also read about here. One problem I haven't read about is a failure of the brakes to work when driving.

Yes, you read me right. Foot on the brake pedal, foot all the way to the floor, the car doesn't stop. Its much worse than an airlock...

It took a few times for me to realise it was the car and not me. I mean, who expects this sort of thing to happen? One day, it happened on a quiet road. I was only doing about 15mph as I was about to park up. I put my foot on the brakes, and the car kept rolling. I had my wits about me, and and kept applying brake pressure, and there was virtually nothing there. A quick lift of the brake and re-apply and the car stopped as normal.

It wasn't till I spoke to my wife about this, and she said she also had experienced this, but thought it was here. The car went back to the local dealer.

Yes, they were pretty good, taking it as the very serious matter that it is. They even had the car for a week for "extensive testing", and found nothing. They did change the fluid and bleed the system, tightened up the hand brake, ran it on the brake tester (whatever it's called) and they showed to be working fine. Diagnosis was "no fault found".

2 or 3 months later, having assumed the mini brake service has sorted everything out, I set off from work. Lo-and-behold, as I am approaching a junction, I put the brakes on and - again, virtually nothing. re-press the brake, come to a stop. Aaargh.

4 days after that, I am driving out of a mini-supermarket car park, same thing happens. To get out of the car-park you have to go over a lowered-curb footpath, where obviously pedestrians have right of way... I'll leave it to your imagination what is going through my mind.

So, its booked in again... probably to have no faults found again. This time I am armed with dates and times so they can check the ECU for faults... but..

I was wondering if there are any other 208 drivers out there who think they may have had this happen to them, but don't really believe it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had 2 warning lights in the past week which say "Brake system failure, stop the vehicle". Just rang the garage now to see what they say.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've experienced varied braking performance. Sometimes they are sharp and sometimes they are not and I have to let of the pedal and reapply. I have had many problems with my terrible 208. So many negative reviews!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
There was a recall for this in 2012 relating to the brakes not being bled properly.Check the VOSA website for details.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter also has a Peugeot 208 September 2012 which has also developed exactly the same fault. She complained the brakes seemed somewhat unresponsive on motorway driving and when we stopped to park, the brakes failed completely although thankfully at low speed. My husband used the car for 2 days on motorway driving/parking and could find no fault. However, the local garage managed to recreate the fault whereby the brakes would eventually 'kick in' but obviously this is unsafe. They could not however diagnose any fault and suggested Peugeot check it out, but Peugeot want £158 per hour diagnostic with no guarantee of identifying a fault and want the car for 1/2 a day. Paying £500+ to be told there cannot finda fault seems an expensive alternative to just getting everything it could be possibly be replaced, master cylinder, brake bleed, fluid change etc etc. Has anyone identified this issue yet because although I checked the VOSA site as suggested, this car is 2 months newer than the recalled cars on the VOSA site with a known brake fault, so can we assume that the fault in this recall was then rectified with future builds - that being said the local garage has tried to rectify with a brake bleed but this hasn't changed the fault anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to my wife’s car
I replaced the master cylinder then the abs pump to no avail
I noticed when I turned the steering wheel to full left lock I heard a clunking noise and lost the brake pedal
So I put it on a lift and looked around to see what was making the noise and noticed wear on the link arm the anti roll bar had slide over to the right and when the steering was turned it pushed the link arm and anti roll bar against the brake caliper pushing it bar and hence the need to pump out the barke pedal again
I changed the anti roll bar and rubbers and no problems hence
So it seems after time the anti roll bar can slid to the left causing the above

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my wife’s car
I replaced the master cylinder then the abs pump to no avail
I noticed when I turned the steering wheel to full left lock I heard a clunking noise and lost the brake pedal
So I put it on a lift and looked around to see what was making the noise and noticed wear on the link arm the anti roll bar had slide over to the right and when the steering was turned it pushed the link arm and anti roll bar against the brake caliper pushing it bar and hence the need to pump out the barke pedal again
I changed the anti roll bar and rubbers and no problems hence
So it seems after time the anti roll bar can slid to the left causing the above

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saved me a bit of time this morning. Thanks. Absolutely shocking fault mind. Customer took it to local dealer £300 later they still have no clue:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I was wondering if anyone has solve the mystery of the brakes issue yet as I'm having the same issue with my 208 one minute they work one minute they don't, I've taken it to many mechanic' s and they have no idea..I've phoned about the recall on them to be told that mine wasent the one on the recall..any help would be great I'm at my wits end. Thankyou.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts