Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have just been told the 208 1200vti has been re-called to have the crankshaft timing checked,the main dealer said if they find it is out of spec they will replace the complete engine at peugeot,s expense!This worries me as if they say its just in spec am i going to have major engine problems after the warranty has expired because the truth was it was out of spec.This issue must be able to cause major engine damage or peugeot would not be prepared to fit a complete new engine at their voluntary expense (my alarm bells are already ringing)My 1.2vti goes into evans hallshaw next week to be checked (panic!)If any member has any information regarding this issue please let me know as soon as possible please.

Dipstick.Edited by: dipstick

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi! Again. I have just spoken to the main dealer to find out the nature of the recall crankshaft timing problem with my 208 allure 1.2vti and was told the problem is to do with the crankshaft end float tolerance and if they find it is greater than 0.5mm the complete engine will be replaced free of charge.My concern is that if it just scrapes through on the border line measurement will this become an earlier than expected serious engine wear problem in the future probably after the warranty has expired,the answer i was given was if it is in it passes if not the engine will be replaced, obviously if it is deemed to be in spec i pray that is well in and not on the borderline (worried owner!)Has any other member with a 2013 208 allure 1.2vti had the same recall? if so could you please let me know as this problem could end up a serious and expensive owners problem sometime in the future if their 208 just scrapes through this check.

Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! I was informed by phone from the main dealer in glasgow who i bought the car from, although i live in edinburgh where the local main dealer will carry out the checks next friday where its booked in.I bought the 208 from melvins now robins & day in glasgow,but it will be evans halshaw peugeot edinburgh main dealer who will carry out the measurements. Evans halshaw gave me the explanation for reasons for the tests required when i pushed them in great detail.

Dipstick. Edited by: dipstick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just spoke to my dealer, they say they haven't even heard of the problem. Would be interested to find out some more.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! The only people who will know which batches of 208,s will merit a recall are peugeot themselves, as far as i am aware all the cars parts are not guaranteed to be manufactured in france to take advantage of cheaper labour elsewhere,i suspect this may be the reason for only certain batches to be inspected as they will have a record of where all different parts were manufactured & have probably noticed a suspect problem arising with parts coming fom a particular country.If the parts tested are within spec no sweat, if not as the crankshaft is such a critical part particularly in a hard to keep smooth 3 cylinder engine, if it is out of spec it is cheaper to replace the engine than the time and labour costs to strip it all down & fit new parts and reassemble particularly if undue wear has taken place,so says evans halshaw my local main dealer.

Dipstick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a phone call from my dealer (Hindmarch Stamford) about it, now booked in for Friday. They said it was about lateral crankshaft play, and would need at least 1 hour to examine. Thanks for the info on this.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi! Now that the recalls for 1.2vti crankshaft problem are coming out of the woodwork, the question is if you are offered a complete new engine replacement will the new one have had the original problem addressed & modified to prevent this problem for good,if not the replacement will be dogged with the same problem as the original in the not to distant future & if so who pays then should another replacement be necessary (i think we know the answer).This problem needs some powerfull authority to make peugeot come clean on any known or recurring problems with this new engine model design & to oblige them to rectify & modify these design/manufacturing problems to guarantee that all replacement engines of the 1.2vti are sound & guaranteed a long & reliable life.At the moment getting these guarantees on paper from main dealers is less likely than winning the lottery,it is looking more & more like this engine was rushed on to the market & punted as the best thing since sliced bread before all the design problems were thoroughly investigated & remedied.

A Disenchanted! Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Just realised the tolerance they are giving for this. You sure it's 0.5mm??? That is a hell of a lot in engine terms. I would think that the engine would be very noisy with that amount of play.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi! That was the figure the figure the gaffer of the workshop mentioned over the phone,he may have just have been using it as an example.I have been reading up on the subject of crankshaft endfloat online to be as well clued up as i can on this issue,hope this will be of some help to me. The car goes in for the recall check in the morning.If it passes i hope the findings will be given to me in writing & signed and dated with my engine vin number on it in case i have engine problems in the not to distant future relating to this recall issue otherwise word of mouth is of no value should problems arise.I will give an update tomorrow once the car has been butchered sorry i mean inspected.

Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Yeah keep us updated pal. I also have a 1.2 and starting to get a little frustrated. Not with the fact that the engine has a problem. The fact that I don't trust the dealership at all to carryout any work on my car. They are so under trained and careless. I also hate the way they play everyone as if they don't know anything about cars and if they don't, they lie and scam. So when you go in here's a few tips.""¢Mention you are on the forum and there is a lot of discussion about it atm.""¢Ask something like 'so why may there be excessive end float on the crank?... wrong thrust bearings size or poor compound?'This will make sure he thinks your switched on and won't take a palm off. Then just crack on with any other questions you haveAs I say 0.5 is an extremely large amount of movement. Even 0.050 is. I'd say anything over 0.020 is goosed.And just a quick rundown of what end float is. When checking the end float of the crank we are checking the movement of the crank length ways. To do so, pull the crank to the rear or front of the engine, place a Dial gauge and the other side touching the crack and push the crank towards the gauge. It's not a hard push, just reasonable force amd not enough to move the engine. The gauge should move/spin and give you a precise reading. On a new engine it should be 0-0.002.

If I took my car in and he told me the end float on my engine crankshaft was 0.5mm I would demand it to be sorted.
You could also ask to see the recall info where it should instruct the mechanic of pass and fail measurements. The engine service information where it will give you the allowed wear tolerances of each engine component, one being the end float measurement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've just returned from the dealer. They said it was within tolerance, so nothing else is required.

When I took it in, I asked if it was possible to have a printout of the test results. The helpful receptionist told me "we don't do that".

The level of customer service is not that great. I do not intend keeping this car beyond the warranty period, and my decision on the next car will take this into account.

I'll try sending an email requesting the results and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi! Duffy my crankshaft was checked this morning on recall & the play was recorded as 0.46mm which they say is below the maximum limit of 0.5mm allowed by peugeot before engine replacement is granted so it is very near the maximum limit & might as well be as far as i am concerned.I told them that this being the case i would prefer the car to be returned to peugeot ownership and my purchase costs refunded,to allow me to search elsewhere for another make of car with a renowned quality/build standard & reliability record.And yes the permited end float figure i quoted previously is correct less than 0.5mm then it passes if greater, engine is replaced the dealershift say they have no discretion allowance on the limits set by peugeot on this crankshaft recall.I have contacted peugeot customer care on o845-200-2500 to air my disenchantment on this major issue & they have given me a case escalation reference number created, & promised that a peugeot technical expert will call me at home within the next 3 days to try and resolve this issue & put my mind at rest (Fat Chance!)The dealer scorned the mention of the 208 club & said yeah people say a lot of things on these forums who are not as well informed as they think.I also pushed him on the wear figure being very near the peugeot limit & how that bears for the future of my engine,he said it won,t get any worse to which i replied ive never experienced wear actually improving itself in my life!So i will just have to wait & see if the peugeot tehnical expert rings with some more semiconvincing waffle,iwill watch with keen interest to see how the other members with the same recall get on, ive a feeling they will be luckier than me.Ironically the car i part exchanged for this wonder of the world was my 6th peugeot in a row a 10 year old 206 1.4hdi with 65k on the clock & still on the original clutch & never let me down once.p.s I asked them what kind of play figure they would expect to find on any new make of engine & they hadnt a clue,genned up kiddies this lot Eh!

Gone for a stiff Drink!Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
You should be offered a copy of the job card just incase you want to put it in with the car history. They should give you or at least show you the mechanics finds without an argument too. It's your car at the end of the day and they should be able to supply the proof it has been done.How did they do the test do you know?
Did you find out why the recall has been put out?
I spoke to peugeot today and my car is in the clear and has no re calls listed for it.

As for the know it alls on the forums..... hes right. There are a lot of idiots out there who google a few things and bam they are instant genius's. You can usually make out who is and who isn't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
'Back in the day' end float could get so bad clutches would fail to disengage fully as the release bearing would push the crank in rather than the clutch diaphragm springs. Now that is bad

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Well out of curiosity, whilst doing some engine work on the GM A16LER engine I had a quick spy at what their tolerance levels are and as you can see, peugeots are more than double (what I see as) the average measurements.

Not only that but to get a true reading the engine must be removed fron the vehicle to do such tests

:/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, newbie on here.
Just taken my 208 1.2 vti into the Peugeot Dealer today for its Crankshaft end float check and it is 0.80mm, that's 0.30 above the allowed tolerance of0.50, so its a new engine for mine, having only covered 11k!!!Not a happy chap, as the thought of having all the engine bay disturbed is annoying, the car is only 12months old!,but the dealer assures me they are putting the top technician on the job and it will all be warranted, any problems they will have to put right.
My other gripe is the hassle of informing DVLA of the Engine number change, as it will be different to the one on my logbook.
Shame really as its a great little car, can't fault it on the road, it handles and goes very well,I suppose its one of those things when you buy the early cars of a new model and engine, they are still ironing out any faults, think I will let Peugeot have it back and the end of its lease, although I will certainly get another Peugeot.
Great forum by the way.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Mine was found to have an end float of 1.5mm, and I was told I could not drive the car before a new engine was fitted, otherwise I would be driving at my own risk. The dealer immediately ordered and fitted a new engine.

I feel it was better to be way out than say just under the tolerance as hopefully the new engine would be to the latest specification.

All done FOC under warranty. I had not received any notification that my car needed to be checked, even thought it was in for service on 16th May 2014, and the recall came out on 14th April 2014.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts