Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in the car to go to work early this morning and everything was fine until I got on the Dual Carriageway. I pulled off the slip road and put it into fifth and boom Engine Management Light Came on with an alarm and a message on the touchscreen "Engine fault have the car repaired immediately" or something along those lines and the car went into 'limp' mode. I was going to take it to the dealer but they were in the other direction and there was heavy traffic so didn't fancy having to deal with a completely dead 208 on a dual carriageway. I managed to limp it home and use my Peugeot AA assistance ( which I just renewed thank god!). They guy came out and plugged his diagnostics machine in and said it was low fuel pressure causing the issue. He asked me where I filled the car up and i told him the Supermarket which is practically on my doorstep. He said that they have had a few of these whereby the Supermarket fuel suppliers are not refining the fuel properly and not inserting the correct additives to the fuel, in cold weather and the fuel is congealing on the fuel filter over a period of time causing a blockage hence the low fuel pressure. He followed me to the dealership and we explained to the girl on the service desk who immediately knew what the problem was as they have "had quite a few of these" and said she would arrange for the car to have a new fuel filter fitted in good faith ( I'll believe it when I see it!).

According to the dealership this has been a problem mainly from the refineries up North as Down South they have not experienced much trouble like this. Apparently Peugeot are blaming the Supermarkets and the Supermarkets are blaming Peugeot stating their fuel is refined in the same places as major stations such as BP.Typical although I am not convinced that the fuel is the direct cause to the problem. My Dad who is an experienced Mechanic has his own business who works on Vehicles for Leasing and Hire Car Companies, he told me they had a load of 308's Brand new off a transporter from down south a couple of weeks ago with practically no miles on the clock. They got in them to drive them off and they had this exact same problem.

So who's problem is it? I'll leave that for you to decide.!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been to pick the 208 up now, they replaced the full filter. It is not done under warranty but they said it was replaced in good faith. I had to answer a few questions about mileage, where I tank up, how far down do I let the fuel in the tank go etc. The girl assured me this information would be sent off to Peugeot to help them sort this issue out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts