Peugeot 208 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked into my dealer's today and they had a 208 with its engine out because of a broken balance shaft. The engine was a 1.2 3 cylinder.

I wonder if this is a common problem.

They were installing a brand new engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Booked my car in for the postcode satnav upgrade and a cruise control problem, cruise keeps tripping out when in use. dealer rang yesterday to say he had some news, fault noted with cruise control, not sure what to do, so going to keep changing parts until fault corrected. Then tells me that they check for recalls and my car has been recalled, and that it needs a new engine due to a possible shaft problem, I thought he was joking until he assured me its true, says the recall was made only days ago. This is my first visit to this site to see if anyone has had similar problems, couldn't make it up. My vehicle is a 1.2vti allure petrol purchased new Mar 2013 with 14000 now on clock, can't say I'm happy and have complained previously of poor fuel consumption, poor suspension, and satnav not accepting a 6 digit postcode, I usually buy diesel but was tempted by the possible 62.8mpg from the petrol, I commute 51 miles return to work each day, 12 miles motorway and then A roads, will be returning to diesel next change, car is currently returning 51mpg driving economically. As a family we have purchased 9 new Peugeot's in the past, and this is the first recall, couldn't be something simple could it.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
If the recall is live im giving my dear friend steve a call tomorrow.
So if your axle doesn't fall out, or your car set itself on fire, your engine will go pop.

Nice

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
g1x3r said:
That's gotta be costing Peugeot a fortune! There's a 1.2 engine on eBay up for over £2500
Perhaps Peugeot should look somewhere else for their engines.
Clearly the ones on Ebay are pants

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh no!! Just got my car back today after major electrical problems...and I too have been told
It is on a recall, something to do with crankshaft?! ( rubbish with cars but sounds similar to yours?!) my car is 1.2vti allure registered end of feb 2013.
They are being really cagey as to what needs replacing... But have booked it in for 19th may and said it will be in at least a week :((((

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Crankshaft's are responsible for all that goes on in
an engine. Failure is death. I would imagine the will
Be replacing engine. Probably quicker than
Stripping out crank and doing what ever is needed.
Hope it's sorted out for you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pretty major then! I certainly dont want 'death' !!
Yeah I think you could be right on the new engine possibility...went in to the showroom this evening and talked to the only person who would give me a straight answer, and he said this particular recall is down for a new engine!
May just think myself lucky yet another thing messed up, so it was in the garage for them to notice ;)
Thanks!
Jade.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Look at the bright side. They know there is a fault. They have hopefully rectified the fault. They will be
fitting something newer and better revised. In the mean time you should be saving miles in your
car and clocking them up in a loan car?
Good luck Jade

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hi! I read your post with interest, could this broken balance shaft in fact be another name for the crankshaft.I am now the second member with a 208 1.2vti recalled to check the play in the crankshaft which if more than 0.5mm play is found, peugeot have authorised the main dealers to fit a complete new engine (Great!)but what if the play is just on the borderline are the owners going to be left with an engine which will soon be out of spec,& can only get worse as the mileage clocks up & will they have to pay for any engine damage themselves that is caused by a problem which peugeot were already aware of.This worries me no end as my 208 1.2vti has only done 8k miles. I am pretty sure if i was able to put this question to peugeot face to face,they would decline to give me a definite answer.This is my 6th purchased peugeot in a row with no previous major engine component problems of any kind until now,i now wonder if i should have opted for a more proven engine model.

Dipstick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The balance shaft is separate to the crankshaft. There will be two balance shafts driven by the timing belt, chain drive or gears.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
one balance shaft iirc pal. The main question is why is the tolerance so high after a short period of use? Poor material/compound? Wrong size bearings? Surely it shouldn't go on the level of play but what the actual bearing is. They should know by batch numbers and manufacturers dates which engines are effected. Link those to the VIN number of the vehicle. Recall all those who may be effected and replace.Just another peugeot
up and money saving scheme.
However give them their due. They are doing something about it and any problems ive had they have sorted

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hi! Thanks for the answer,balancing rods? i am beginning to wonder if this 3 cylinder engine is a complete balancing act full of parts fitted to try and make this unnatural 3 cylinder unit run reasonably smooth & have a long? and carefree life,but i now fear that this is not the case & that not enough time and money were spent perfecting this engine before fiesting this engine on the poor car buying public judging by the fact that most of the engine problems read on this site are related to the 1.2vti engine/clutch.gearbox etc.I bought the 1.2vti half convincing myself that it would be fine after reading all the hype about it & telling myself that technology had moved on in engine design helped by modern computerisation etc but a nagging doubt still lingered in the back of my mind having worked on all types of cars/engines since the60,s.I am stuck with it now & will just have to soldier on with it & hope that if my recall check on friday warrants a new engine, it will be a replacement with all the bugs finally rectified then all fears & doubts will subside for a while anyway but if they say its okay its in spec i will never have any real confidence in it ever.
A nervous.Dipstick.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
3 cylinders are perfectly fine. They have been used for years by vauxhall in the Corsa. Toyota in the aygos along with citroen and peugeot in their c1s and 107s. VW in their polos and maybes more.They've been going a long time. Its just some manufacturers tend to cut corners to ruduce costs. I haven't personally Looked into the history of the peugeot 3 cylinder 1.2 engines so maybes someone else can shed some light on reliability?You'll also find manufacturers attempting to 'upgrade' engines and enhance them for performance and economy reasons and it turns out, we are the true guinea pigs. They can only test them so far in the factory

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would appear this IS a common problem.

My 208 has only done 16,500 miles since new. Just had annual service this week.
Taking it back for repair to exhaust bracket (they had to order part - noticed broken on service), drove away from house, change to 2nd gear - Booomph - that was it. Apparently pulley slipped on "lower" (I'm guessing crank-) shaft; cambelt came off. Palmers are contacting Peugeot to order a new engine!!!!
Thank heavens it is under warranty!!!!!

Full marks to Green Flag who were out very quickly and Rooth at Palmers Hemel, keeping me informed.
This MUST be costing Peugeot (or Toyota who I believe make the engine) an absolute fortune!

The only clue I had was, for a few days before it happened, when starting the car for the first couple of revolutions of the engine, it was "lumpy". It then ran perfectly, so no other clues!!!

Update: still lumpy start with new engine, so - NO clues it was going.
Touch wood, new engine seems fine.

Edited by: PeterM42

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
I had 3 cylinders in my runaround. Modern efficient cars under 1.3l are generally 3 cylinders , done 40000 miles in 2 years in a Citroen 3 cylinder, great car, super economy,low maintenance.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Yes, 82bhp (and 110bhp?) engine is puretech 3 cylinder, a 1.4 is in development

puretech is basically the 68bhp 3 cylinder technology after 8 years of development.

reminds me of when I rode a race tuned Honda ns400 triple, horrible sound but smooth power delivery from low down, must of been in 88', did a 1/4 mile in 11.5 secs and you'd still be in 3rd gear, much lighter and useable compared to the 4cylinder 500cc's

was it del la sol who sang '3 is the magic number'

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Just seen it in a 308 estate. Seems to be a bit small for such a big car, but small engines are the way forward at the moment in many car makes.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
I suppose 3 cylinders do have the low down power for an estate, I can remember having 5 people and a boot load in my 1litre triple, still didn't trouble it, probably the clutch was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts