FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Peugeot 208 forum! Please introduce yourself in our Newbies Forum, post anything about your order in the Order forum, or for general chat - use the Main Message Centre.

208 1.2VTi or Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PhilH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 208 1.2VTi or Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:21pm
Looking at chopping in the wifes car soon and wonder if anybody has compared the Fiesta 1.0 100PS Ecoboost to the 208 1.2 VTi 83ps?

Ideally we'd like the Peugeot for the styling and interior space, but I can't remember how it drives, as in accelerates, overtakes and tops out etc.
I say this as I am going to upset you all probably, but I drove a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost, which is a 3 cylinder turbocharged unit and all I can say is that it had an amazing response when you put your foot down, where I would say it was a riot to drive and seemed very agile. Just can't remember what the 208 was like as been 12 months since we test drove, but we didn't buy as dealer was only offering couple of hundred off and finance at quickquid type apr!
The Fiesta interior size seems to be a bit tight though and it didn't inspire that much visually. Also that gaping wide grille is an acquired taste, but the engine was amazing and a heated windscreen is standard from the mid range models up, like equivalent to an Active trim level.

Can anyone say they compared the two?

Also what sort of discounts are dealers doing to get you "into a 208"? Our current Citroen DS3 had £3.5k wiped off list and Ford being a volume seller they usually give hefty discounts.

Sponsored Links

terrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 11:50am
I did have a shot of fiesta, but to be honest was always going to go with the 208 Wink

My humble opinion on your thoughts/questions-
The 208 looks way better, inside and out. I hate that new grill on fiesta and the cheap looking wheels on lots of them!
Comparing 1.0 to the Pugs 1.2 3 cylinder. They're both nice engines and eager to rev, great MPG when taking easy but that drops when the foot is heavy! 208 smoother, better ride, quieter, fun to drive and be in and so much more CHARACTER. Fiesta a bit sharper and more agile.
The fiesta with the 1.0 was quite a bit more expensive to start with, but discounted to a lower price. However, you'll now get a good discount on 208. Maybe not £3.5k!, I haggled £700 + £ of metallic paint with very little hassle.
No heated windscreen, but how many days of the year would you need it? Doesn't take long to defrost these days anyway.

Get the 208, you'll never stop smiling
monkeyboy51 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeyboy51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 6:03pm
i have a 1.2 vti if you like crap mpg crap gearbox and crap dealers get the 208 oh and don't get the sat nav as that is rubbish as well Thumbs Down
terrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by monkeyboy51 monkeyboy51 wrote:

i have a 1.2 vti if you like crap mpg crap gearbox and crap dealers get the 208 oh and don't get the sat nav as that is rubbish as well Thumbs Down

It'll be a fiesta then!!

I'm getting 57mpg with my 1.2, only done 1k miles so expect it might get better yet. This is mainly on rural A Roads.
As for gearbox, I've no complains. Better than my partners renault megane anyway.
Don't have the sat nav, so can't comment on that.
Dealers - my nearest dealer lost new car sales but still use for servicing, they are great (Laings peugeot, Blairgowrie). Next nearest was terrible, waste of time even visiting them (Barnetts, Dundee). Purchased from next nearest dealer, can't say a bad word. Been very helpful, quick to update me, etc (Struans Perth)
PhilH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by terrier terrier wrote:

I did have a shot of fiesta, but to be honest was always going to go with the 208 Wink

My humble opinion on your thoughts/questions-
The 208 looks way better, inside and out. I hate that new grill on fiesta and the cheap looking wheels on lots of them.
No heated windscreen, but how many days of the year would you need it? Doesn't take long to defrost these days anyway.

Get the 208, you'll never stop smiling

Many thanks for the replies. We like the front of the 208, but not so much the rear and vice versa on the Fiesta. I totally agree with the wheels comment...the Zetec has 15" wheels reminiscent of TSW blades, if anyone is old enough to remember them. The 208 Azote alloys are also a bit naff, but the 16" alloys on them do look good...are they called Helium?

Me and the wife work shifts at the same place and she has an early start and me a late finish (childcare and all that), so not having to defrost morning and night sounds appealing.
Touchscreen vs oldey worldey Fiesta dash sounds good.

Colour wise, think Peugeot still only do white in solid and Ford do blue and red and then white is £250, metallic £750...ouch, does paint really cost that much to the manufacturer?

VED is neither here nor there £0 vs £20.

I think it will almost go to a spin of a coin.

What are the dealers like for after sales? Do you get offered a courtesy car, is your car able to be booked in quite quickly, or weeks to wait?

Therefore the jury is still out.
terrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by PhilH PhilH wrote:

What are the dealers like for after sales? Do you get offered a courtesy car, is your car able to be booked in quite quickly, or weeks to wait?

With my 107 I had for 3 years I never asked for a courtesy car, but dealer gives me a lift to my work then drops car off there once servicing done. Got 208 for a whole day test drive (not just a 5 minute spin) too
monkeyboy51 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyboy51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 2:29pm
i would not have a ford for all the tea in china but my 208 1.2 is proberly the worst car i have had i also drive a 2012 smart cdi which drives nicer my main complaint is with the dealer who just says thats how it is i am lucky to get 39MPG the clutch and gearbox is horrable , the best thing about the is the ride over pot holes and bad roads , i have been in the motor trade for 30 years so i know a thing or to about cars i do blame my self a bit as i never test drove the 1.2 but the 1.4 petrol no longer avalable which was a totaly differant car but the salesman talked us in to 1.2 which had great reviews 
terrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 2:46pm

my main complaint is with the dealer who just says thats how it is 

Why not just take to another Peugeot dealer?
PhilH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 7:01pm

i would not have a ford for all the tea in china but my 208 1.2 is proberly the worst car i have had i also drive a 2012 smart cdi which drives nicer my main complaint is with the dealer who just says thats how it is i am lucky to get 39MPG the clutch and gearbox is horrable , the best thing about the is the ride over pot holes and bad roads , i have been in the motor trade for 30 years so i know a thing or to about cars i do blame my self a bit as i never test drove the 1.2 but the 1.4 petrol no longer avalable which was a totaly differant car but the salesman talked us in to 1.2 which had great reviews 

We drove the 1.4 VTI when it first come out and it was truly awful, I nearly fell asleep at the wheel, so no surprise it has been dropped and 12 months ago there were no 1.2 litre engines around as dealer was saying it was due to the Japanese Tsunami where they were made.
I guess if you look at the comparisons, the VED banding for the 1.4 vs the 1.2 and the marginal difference in performance, along with people wanting mpg over anything else, it made it a slow seller. I recall the dealer saying the 1.2 was aimed at people who were trading out of the 1.4 207, particularly the 75bhp version.
I do recall liking the 1.2, yet technology seems to have moved on by Ford and Peugeot needs to play catch up.
Does anyone think that the 3 cylinder engines will get turbocharged and stop start added like the Fiesta? There is only so long one can hold off on a purchase.

terrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by PhilH PhilH wrote:

Does anyone think that the 3 cylinder engines will get turbocharged and stop start added like the Fiesta? There is only so long one can hold off on a purchase

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/33768/psa-3-cylinder-turbo-2013
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic